Rearranging Hard disk

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Betty Boop, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    Hi you all,
    I have an ACER Aspire L100 Desktop with Win XP
    Media Center 2005 SP2. In it a hard disk of aprox.
    250 gb, devided into two partitions (C:\ and D:\)
    each 113 gb. Besides that, also a hidden partition
    of 6 gb with the preinstalled systemfiles.
    After I already changed the D partition from FAT32
    in NTFS, and that is working fine, I now want to
    go a step further. Because the total system,
    including all of my applications uses up about 11
    gb, there is a whole lot of free space on C:\ I
    can not use (for other data f.i.). So now I want
    to devide the C;\ partition in a smaller C:\
    partition of about 20 gb and format and rename the
    remaining gb's in a new E:\ partition.
    D:\ will be unchanged.

    I still have to work out how, but if it would be
    possible, does anybody know if I would, the
    *eRecovery procedure* still will work??
    Any advise would be appreciated.

    Many thanks in advance
    Angelique

    Betty Boop, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    use the erecovery and make restore cds/dvds.Get partition magic and carry
    on...

    doS, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    doS, thanks for your reaction and advise.
    For me it's a big relief to hear that it IS
    possible. However, instead of what you suggested
    using Partition Magic to rearrange the C:\
    partition I'm thinking of using my original CD of
    another version of XP, XP Home Edition. With that
    CD I will start to make a totally new install
    because than I can format it first in the right
    measurement, break off the installation after
    format and than reinstall the machine's Media
    Edition. The formatting of the new E:\ I can make
    through the system.
    You agree, is it good thinking or will I mess up?

    What is still not clear for me, will the eRecovery
    still work with that smaller space to install???
    The same question I got for my Norton Ghost
    backups. Could they also be restored to the
    smaller C:\ ??? This is very important for me,
    because after I changed the D:\ partition from
    FAT32 to NTFS, the backup and restore function of
    the machine is not working anymore so I am totally
    dependent on my Norton Ghost application.
    So,... if not, I really won't carry on!

    Could you please help me out with this as well?

    Angelique

    Betty Boop, Nov 22, 2007
  4. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    I dont think you can resize the part using an xp cd....

    doS, Nov 22, 2007
  5. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    Partiton magic is the best way to go.

    doS, Nov 22, 2007
  6. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    Besides the technical problem I'm dealing with,
    there may also be some sort of a language problem
    here.
    I apologize for the fact that English has never
    been my mothers language, so really, I have to try
    very hard to translate from my own language
    (Dutch) into the beautiful English language.
    Besides that, I also am not a technical wonder,
    computers concerning.
    All and all, your answer for me, is a bit short.
    Would you please be so kind and be something more
    specific. It would matter a lot to me.

    Angelique

    Betty Boop, Nov 23, 2007
  7. Betty Boop

    Han Guest

    I think that the eRecovery approach will get you the last configuration
    that you saved, OR, it will get you the original system as you purchased
    it.

    I see several options:

    FIRST
    Get some temporary file cleaner (I use ATF Cleaner, got it through
    MajorGeeks). This might free up a lot of space. Then get a registry
    cleaner and reorganizer. This may clean up more and free up more space.

    SECOND
    Purchase Partition Magic or something other partitioning software that can
    resize your partitions without losing any files. Just use it as is, IF
    your system works now.

    THIRD
    Back up all your data files (migh not be easy).
    Then just install the operating system that you desire after:
    a) making sure you have all the software installation disks you will need,
    and
    b) making sure that you will have all the drivers needed for your hardware.
    (that is the reason I have yet to try putting XP on this Vista Acer Aspire
    3680 - I don't think I will have all the drivers, especially the wireless).
    c) erasing the hard drive completely.

    Ik hoop dat ik je hiermee heb geholpen. M'n nederlands is wat ouderwets
    aangezien ik in 1969 als volwassene naar de VS ging.

    Groetjes!

    Han, Nov 23, 2007
  8. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    Dear Han, beste Han,

    Hi!!!
    Nee hoor, niets van te merken!! Alles is goed te
    volgen zoals je het omschrijft.
    Joh, wat een toeval zeg! Hoop dat het met jou én
    je dierbaren goed gaat daar in The States!

    Thanks for your reply, but I think you didn't read
    my very first posting with the full explanation.
    Let me try to put it this way.

    PC is a ACER desktop with a preinstalled Media
    Edition 2005 XP version
    Hard disk is 250 gb devided into 2 partitions of
    each 113 gb. Partition C:\ with (only) the
    systemfiles and the other applications (aprox. 13
    gb) and a D: with (only) my personal data on it.
    ACER works with an eRecovery service. It only
    works when the goalpartition is in FAT32. Recently
    I formatted this into NTFS (for more safety) so,
    eRecovery isn't working anymore for making backups
    and I do not have any eRecovery backups of the
    system. However,... it is still possible to use
    eRecovery to reinstall the preinstalled Windows
    Media Center. The one on a hidden partition.
    Instead of using eRecovery for making backups of
    the system (C:\ part) I now use the Norton Ghost
    Backup application. I got several (ghost) system
    backups on the D: drive that were made while the
    system was working fine. That's the situation now!

    What I want to do is to devide the complete
    C-drive (113 gb total of which only 13 gb in use
    by the system and 100 gb is NOT) into a smaller C:
    drive of about 25 gb and make a new drive (E:)
    with the rest of the remaining bytes.

    The only things I really need to know is WHEN I
    DO make C: smaller (!!!!), is:
    a) When something *might* go wrong, will eRecovery
    still putting back the complete Windows Media Ed.
    2005 as it came from the factory on the NOW
    SMALLER! C: drive???? and
    b) When eRecovery ISN'T working properly anymore
    , is it THAN still possible to RESTORE one of the
    GHOST backups onto the SMALLER C:-drive? And will
    it work, of course!!

    So the main question is not HOW to devide the C:
    into two new partitions (that's of a lesser
    importance!!!) but *when* I do, will eRecovery put
    back my original Windows version onto the
    *smaller* C:\drive AND/OR will Norton GHOST
    restore my (original and *bigger*) backups from
    the 'old' C:drive on the new *smaller* C:\ drive.

    Mocht mijn Engels én mijn technische kennis en
    inzicht in computers en systemen inderdaad zo
    slecht zijn als ik zelf vermoed en dat dát de
    reden is dat het wérkelijke punt wat ik duidelijk
    wil hebben, niet beantwoord wordt, wil ik het ook
    nog wel in het Nederlands terug vertalen.
    In ieder geval nogmaals bedankt voor je reactie.
    Het doet mij écht wat (big smile!) een reactie te
    krijgen van een (voormalig) landgenoot, zo ver weg!

    Angelique

    Betty Boop, Nov 23, 2007
  9. Betty Boop

    Wandering Guest

    You should be easily able to reduce the size of the C: partition without
    having to reinstall anything. If you are really concerned, create a Ghost
    image of the hidden partition, and one of the C: partition, and you won't
    need the hidden partition any longer, or the supplied Acer backup system,
    you'll have your own. Once you are satisfied that works, you can reclaim the
    hidden partition which will no longer be serving any useful purpose.

    --

    Blessings & peace --- Ray

    Wandering, Nov 23, 2007
  10. Betty Boop

    Han Guest

    Yes, what Wandering said is what Angelique should do (IMO). I didn't
    understand what software Angelique will use for re-partitioning, but when I
    have done this (I forgot whether I used Paragon, Symantec, or Acronis
    software), there were no problems running the system afterwards. Of
    course, images of the hard drive as it is when it did work are best. I
    think that the Acer software is pretty lame anyway.

    Han, Nov 23, 2007
  11. Betty Boop

    Han Guest

    Sorry dat die "e's' met accent comma's zijn geworden ...
    Je engels is prima naar mijn mening! En met als voorbehoedsmiddel
    <grinnik> een goed/goede image van de HD, zou ik gewoon aan de gang gaan
    met die re-partioning. En gooi die Acer hidden partition maar weg, die kan
    je nu toch niet meer gebruiken denk ik. Maar ik zou vooraf de eRecovery
    nog wel gebruiken om de system files en de drivers op CD of DVD te zetten.
    Je weet nooit!

    groetjes vanuit http://radburn.org!

    Han, Nov 23, 2007
  12. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    Ok, heres the deal:
    If you have a partion now that has say,40gb of info on it, and you make a
    ghost image of that 40gb.if you then shrink your c drive, to lets say, 25gb,
    when you restore(ghost of the 40gb) you will have an issue.

    doS, Nov 24, 2007
  13. Betty Boop

    Wandering Guest

    It depends on how much data is in the 40 GB image. Usually the image program
    lets you set the size of the partition it is restoring to.

    You can't fit 40GB into 25GB, as I am sure you are aware. If the image file
    is 40GB it will need a larger partition to restore into, assuming it was
    compressed in imaging.

    Good luck

    Wandering, Nov 24, 2007
  14. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    If you have a partion now that has say,*40gb of info* on it,<

    Betty Boop, Nov 25, 2007
  16. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    *Really!!!*

    Sorry guys, I give up!!!!!!!

    Have a nice day, or whatever

    Betty Boop, Nov 25, 2007
  17. Betty Boop

    Wandering Guest

    I think I understand better now.

    Using XP Disk Manager, you can do what you want.

    Shrink C: and Expand D: Both a few mouse clicks.

    If you have a Ghost image of your entire operating system C: you can install
    it on the smaller partition: It will tell you how much it needs. Figure
    about 20GB for your operating system. On the other hand, there should be no
    reason to do that, as shrinking won't lose any data, but it's there if you
    need it.

    If you have an image like that, you really have no use for the hidden
    partition and you can forget recovery altogether.

    I don't know enough about recovery to tell you if it will install into a
    smaller partition. I took it off my machine when I installed Acronis True
    Image.

    Good luck.

    Wandering, Nov 25, 2007
  18. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    you cant, for example, recovery 40 gb into 25gb...

    doS, Nov 25, 2007
  19. Betty Boop

    doS Guest

    Email me
    ]]

    doS, Nov 25, 2007
  20. Betty Boop

    Betty Boop Guest

    Give me one good reason why I should.
    You don't listen, you can't read and even the way you communicate
    is poor!

    Besides that, your manners in this media are also not correct.
    First of all: reactions are posted at the bottom of the thread
    and seccond, posting in a newsgroup is answering in this newsgroup.

    So,......
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    Angelique

    Betty Boop, Nov 25, 2007