Rearranging keys

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Rick Altman, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Rick Altman

    Rick Altman Guest

    The bane of my existence will forever be notebook computer keyboard
    layouts. I have to boycott some of the very best units out there (like
    Dell, HP, and Sony), because I will never get used to the navigation
    keys being at the top-right in three little rows.

    I have always liked the layouts of WinBook machines -- I have owned
    six of them -- and now they too have seen fit to make gratuitous
    changes. They have moved Del to the top-right and Ins to the left of
    the Space bar.

    I have a Registry hack that converts the CapsLock key to a Ctrl key
    (another change I can never live with), but now I want to get much
    more aggressive about this: I want to change lots of keys...

    I want to assign

    the Windows key to Ctrl
    Ctrl to become Del
    the context menu key to Insert
    Pause to Windows
    Del to become Windows context

    You get the idea...

    Is there a tutorial and reference for this sort of thing. I presume
    each of these keys has scancodes that are defined in the Registry, but
    I'm going a bit far afield for me. I'm willing to, however, in order
    to have my beloved keyboard layout back. Thanks in advance for anyone
    who can steer me right...

    Rick Altman, Sep 30, 2003

  2. C.Joseph Drayton, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Rick Altman

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Someone reccomended this recently, you Joseph? It's great! My keyboard
    is now PERFECT!

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Oct 1, 2003