    displays that cost $50-$100 or so? I expect that we'll be doing
    shortish production runs, say, 100-200 at a clip.

    Thanks!

    Alan Cohen, Sep 18, 2007

  2. Alan Cohen

    cmcedwards Guest

    The short answer to your question is: 100-200 pieces is not production
    quantities, that is hobbyist usage, and if you're buying at hobbyist
    quantities you're buying through at least two layers of distribution
    and paying at LEAST 4x what a real manufacturer will pay - if you can
    even get the parts you want, which frequently isn't the case.

    So your realistic options (besides cannibalism) are either to look at
    hobbyist sources, which will be intermittent and won't have long-term
    guarantees of availability, or look at surplus sources. www.earthlcd.com
    is one pretty major surplus supplier; while there are no absolute
    guarantees of longterm availability, using a big supplier is about as
    close as you'll get.

    cmcedwards, Sep 18, 2007

  3. Alan Cohen

    Tom Lucas Guest

    Game Park, the people who make the GP2X, must have a good source for
    their LCDs to be able to keep the product so cheap. There are a myriad
    of pictures of it with its back off all over the net so have a look and
    see if you can see any identifying marks on the panel.

    Perhaps you could even find a contact within Game Park who can give you
    a pointer to a supplier. They won't tell you how much they pay for their
    screens but they can tell you who their distributor is (assuming they
    don't just go straight to the manufacturer).

    Tom Lucas, Sep 18, 2007
  4. Alan Cohen

    Didi Guest

    Try http://gifar.com.tw . They have sub-$100 SVGA and WVGA 7" and 8"
    displays
    (offered me sample quantities, there was a $50 handling fee for orders
    < $500). Look pretty good to me (but I have not done any shopping
    there yet,
    only inquired - should be doing before too long, though).

    Dimiter

    Didi, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Alan Cohen

    tusunov Guest

    Does anyone have a source for small (but not tiny) and pretty color LCD

    www.sparkfun.com have the same display

    Best regards
    Tsvetan

    tusunov, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Alan Cohen

    slebetman Guest

    That PSP LCD is $70 at Sparkfun. They also have a Nokia 6610 LCD for
    $20 which I've used. Check them out:

    http://www.sparkfun.com

    For black & white graphical LCD nothing beats the Nokia 3310 LCD from
    Jelu at only $9.50:

    http://www.jelu.se/shop/index.php

    slebetman, Sep 19, 2007