Rebuilding a trashed 4100 Dell Dimension - No support from Dell

Discussion in 'Dell' started by williamh1104, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. williamh1104

    williamh1104 Guest

    Hello,

    I found a 4100 Dell Dimension Mini Tower in a neighbors trash... I
    thought I would salvage it for my daughter who is 3.5 yrs. I called
    Dell but they have no info on the system, they surmise it is because
    it was either originally lost or stolen. So I get no support. It
    also has the hard drives removed and no supporting documentation or
    software.

    Otherwise it appears to be clean. I attached a harddrive I had laying
    around to see if I could get a "brainwave" I suspect that there is
    either something wrong with the video card or it is incompatible with
    my monitor, because I can't get it (the monitor) to recognize that
    there is a computer attached. The card is a ATI Rage 128k Pro and the
    monitor is a Gateway EV700.

    If you have any information on this and anything else related to my
    project that you might think is helpful I would be grateful.

    I am motivated because it has a decent p3 and is relatively cheap.

    williamh1104, Feb 19, 2004

  2. "I found a 4100 Dell Dimension Mini Tower in a neighbors trash... I am
    motivated because it has a decent p3 and is relatively cheap."

    Relatively cheap? Is there a less expensive way to acquire a computer than
    to pull it from somebody's trash?

    Rocky

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Feb 19, 2004

  3. instead of reinventing the wheel, why don't you ask your neighbor why he/she
    threw it away.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 19, 2004
  4. *If* he/she threw it away...

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Feb 19, 2004
  5. williamh1104

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    And you expected.... ?

    I'd say free from a garbage can supercedes 'relatively cheap'. In fact, I
    think free is pretty much the ultimate.

    S.Lewis, Feb 19, 2004
  6. williamh1104

    Dick Guest

    Dick, Feb 19, 2004
  7. I would ask my neighbors /why/ they threw it out. Perhaps the
    motherboard died, or the PS failed.
    How do you know the P3 is decent? Perhaps they blew that out,
    somehow. ;-> Power spike or something.

    Ogden Johnson III, Feb 19, 2004
  8. williamh1104

    Caden Guest

    As others are saying, ask the neighbor. I saw a computer struck by
    lightning pass through three different hands before it was thrown out.
    It's one of those lessons.

    Caden, Feb 19, 2004
  9. williamh1104

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    You can get a good P3 on EBAY for $150 or less. I know because I did
    recently. It was a Dell and I was able to download a bios update from
    their site.

    Since the hard drives on the trashed one you found were removed, it's
    probably shot.

    Paul Knudsen, Feb 20, 2004
  10. williamh1104

    williamh1104 Guest

    First off thanks for the feedback! Looking at the idiot lights Dell
    provides on the chassis it suggests that the power supply is hosed,
    but the sys board has a green light and both fans are cooling and the
    e-net card is powered up. The powerlight on the facade is not lit and
    I can't turn it off using the power button, which could be a good
    reason for a person to jettison it.

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dzuul/codemess.htm#diagnostic_codes

    I still cannot tell if the video card is working and haven't been able
    to figure out why it can't crank up the monitor.

    Things that are wrong:

    1. On/off button
    2. Missing Harddrive (Fixed)
    3. Video card not driving the monitor

    Yeah I guess it would have been easy to ask the neighbor, but it was
    on a street corner with a bunch of condos, so I wasn't exactly sure if
    I knew which house had discarded it. After Dell suggested that it was
    lost or stolen I wasn't really sure I wanted to find out who owned it.

    I said relatively cheap cause at the very least I would have to make
    some kind of investment to get it fully operational. I didn't think
    too much about the hard drives being missing I would do the same thing
    if I wanted to keep the info on it or i didn't want someone to do
    forensics on the drive.

    williamh1104, Feb 20, 2004
  11. it is not a mechanical power button. hold the power button for ten seconds
    and the system should shut off.

    [/QUOTE]

    Christopher Muto, Feb 20, 2004