    card:

    GeForce 7100 GS (PCI-express)

    Can anyone help?

    ccdean100, Jan 10, 2008

  2. ccdean100

    Paul Guest

    This isn't much of a test, but it will tell you a few things.

    Turn off the power and unplug the computer. (I recommend this
    anyway, before adding or removing components. It is to guarantee
    there is no +5VSB running inside the box while you're working.)

    Now, remove the sticks of RAM and store them in an antistatic
    bag. Check to make sure the computer case speaker (SPKR cable)
    is connected to the correct pins on the motherboard PANEL
    header. Turn on the computer. You should hear the "missing RAM"
    beep pattern coming from the computer speaker.

    If you hear that, you know that:

    CPU executed some BIOS code. It won't beep unless some
    BIOS code gets executed. If there was no beep, verify
    again that the ATX12V 2x2 power connector is plugged into
    the board. That is necessary for any recent motherboard.
    Older ones may run from the main connector only.

    With a PCI Express video card, you may want to verify it is
    seated properly.

    You can do a similar test, where the RAM is installed, but
    the video card is missing. (This assumes the motherboard
    does not have integrated video.) With the video card missing,
    you should get a "missing video" beep pattern. That gives
    you an additional piece of information. It means the computer
    tested the RAM and found it to be functional enough, to progress
    to the video card test. If reinstalling the RAM leads to complete
    silence, sometimes bad RAM can do that - prevent any beep at all.

    So the computer case internal speaker can be used for a couple tests.

    For more info, please mention the motherboard make and model number.
    If this is a Dell you've chopped up, mention the Dell model number
    instead.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 10, 2008