Recomended 1156 processor?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Thomas Andersson, Mar 13, 2010.

  1. Hi!

    I'm hoping to take the big jump from my old AMD 4200+ to an all new
    architecture, intel based of course, soon and hope for some help and input.

    I aim for the Asus P7P55D-E motherboard and will have to settle for PC1600
    ram (hopefully better).
    GFX card will most likely be a NVidia GTX260.

    The big question is what CPU to chose? As it's aimed as a gaming rig
    internal gfx is out so no i3, not sure3 I have any use for that
    virtualization stuff so no need for i7, leaving i5. from what I've gathered
    it's better to go for a faster dual core than a quad core as game doesn't
    realy scale with multicores anyway yet.
    What do you suggest as a good gaming CPU out of the current i-range out of
    the box that can also handle some air cooled overclocking (nothing extreme
    but enough to get some extra value for the money)? What do you think is the
    current best value for money?

    Any other suggestions? (I assume ram will be debated and that faster ram is
    good, but what would be the sweet spot there value/money?),

    TIA
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Mar 13, 2010

  2. I'm aiming for basically the same mobo, although the newer version "-e" that
    has the new USB and SATA ports. Sticking to the base version though as cost
    cutting is a big concern unfortunately.
    I don't think the i7s have anything I need badly enough to splurge the extra
    cash on it and hope that the 750 will OC enough to make up for any dpseed
    difference.
    But isn't 1600 ram the low end of what it supports? I thought for sure tha
    one category in a iX system NOT to save on would be ram as the controller is
    internal in the cpu, the faster the ram, the faster the system??
    I have a fairly new Corsair 650W and won't SLI so should be fine.
    I wouldn't mind SSD, but can't afford it, the new system will have to use
    inherited sata disks from my old system.
    Got a free legit copy of W7 Home premium 64bit so OS choise was easy ;)

    Thomas Andersson, Mar 13, 2010