    fixtures.

    Anyone have a specific CFL that fills the bill?

    Thanks.

    Joe, Dec 12, 2013

  2. The CFLs sold at IKEA fit this bill and they're generally cheaper than
    what you'll find at Home Depot. They seems to be phasing out CFLs and
    pushing CREE LED "bulbs" and still carry tungsten incandescents.

    http://www.homedepot.com/s/led?NCNI-5

    Michael Vilain, Dec 12, 2013

  3. Joe

    John Varela Guest

    The January 2014 Consumer Reports magazine has a good article about
    LED bulbs and Kelvin ratings. LED 60-watt equivalents sell for $13
    or $14 but brighter ones still cost $30 to $40.

    John Varela, Dec 12, 2013
  4. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Goodness, it took a week for you to NOT figure out, FROM THE TOPIC, that
    is was off-topic. Plz, Rog, go back to sleep.

    Joe, Dec 20, 2013
  5. Joe

    android Guest

    QV is dead 'n his restless. He's eagerly awaiting QVII and the
    relegalization of British piracy....

    android, Dec 20, 2013
  6. Joe

    John Varela Guest

    Labeling off-topic posts as such is common courtesy on Usenet.
    Evidently you're not big on courtesy.

    John Varela, Dec 20, 2013
  7. CFL *could* have been an acronym related to Lisp that he didn't happen
    to recognize. Maybe a C-Fortran-Lisp compiler. :)

    Barry Margolin, Dec 20, 2013
  8. Joe

    Lewis Guest

    Obviously It's Q5 and Q7.

    Didn't they force you to learn Roman Numerals in grade school when you
    were a kid?

    Lewis, Dec 21, 2013
  9. I have no idea what Q5 and Q7 mean. However, I took QV and QVII to
    mean Queen Victoria and Queen Victoria the Second; he's apparently
    awaiting the eventual arrival of the latter. But if there will ever be
    a QV II, she will be a long time coming.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 21, 2013
  10. Joe

    Lewis Guest

    It was a joke.
    I have no idea what QV and QVII referred to, and honestly, I thought it
    was some oblique reference to "Queen Victoria" and having to wait for
    "Queen Victoria II" (Like the QE and QEII cruise ships, perhaps?).
    That's why I thought Queen Victoria. But none of it makes any sense.
    Oh, I wasn't trying to be HELPFUL, I was being silly.
    Seems about right.

    Lewis, Dec 21, 2013
  11. Joe

    dorayme Guest

    It is interesting that you think a crazy can *comprehend* something
    that you - who regard himself as anything but - cannot.

    dorayme, Dec 21, 2013
  12. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Will somebody please grumble, grouse, kvetch, whine, or complain about
    how difficult it is to access the internals of their Mac in order to
    upgrade the hard drive? Then the ol' ensign can forsooth explain,
    pontificate, preach, or declaim how the Mac's Gordian knot design was a
    logical and necessary design feature. Gotta keep him cheerily occupied!

    Joe, Dec 21, 2013
  13. Joe

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Dec 22, 2013
  14. You shouldn't doubt it. I replaced the hard drive in my wife's 2005 G5
    20 inch iMac (the middle version, after the one with the bad
    electrolytic capacitors but before the one with built-in camera) about a
    year and a half ago. No problem at all.

    However you're right about more recent iMacs. I have a 2010 27 inch one
    whose hard drive developed bad blocks. After reading about how to
    replace the hard drive, I took it in to a local shop. First time I've
    done that since back when my Mac SE's hard drive needed to be replaced,
    which was not a task to undertaken lightly!

    David

    David Ryeburn, Dec 22, 2013
  15. Joe

    David Empson Guest

    David Empson, Dec 22, 2013
  16. Joe

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Dec 22, 2013
  17. Joe

    David Empson Guest

    The tray-loading ones involved removing a few cables then pulling out a
    module which contained the hard drive, optical drive, logic board, CPU
    and memory modules. The hard drive was easy to access inside the module.

    The slot-loading ones involved removing part of the outer case, then the
    motherboard was visible, and the hard drive was easily accessible
    without further disassembly. (There was an external hatch which gave
    access to the memory and Airport card.)

    David Empson, Dec 22, 2013