    application), and another for performance (gaming needs). However, for
    both, no onboard video adapter, please.

    TIA

    Ricky Romaya, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Ricky Romaya

    Conor Guest

    You don't need to go to Opteron...its a server chip. Just go for
    Athlon64 for performance and Sempron for budget. Stick to socket 939 as
    it is compatible with the new dual core chips. Also stick to nForce4
    Ultra chipsets. Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO.

    Precautions for heat? Well seeing as they run FAR COOLER and with far
    lower power requirements than Intel P4s, it's not going to be much of
    an issue.

    Conor, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Ricky Romaya

    Cuzman Guest

    Conor wrote:

    " Best board is an ASUS AN8-SLI Delux IMO. "

    The AN8-SLI is made by Abit. The A8N-SLI is made by Asus.

    Cuzman, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Ricky Romaya

    Ricky Romaya Guest

    Is it safe to say that, comparing to Intel processors (figuratively
    speaking, as some of the AMD is 64bit as opposed to Intel which are all
    32bit), Opteron is the parallel for Xeon, Athlon64 for Pentium4, and
    Sempron for Celeron?

    How many socket types are there for AMD? Have AMD released their dual core
    chips, under what name?

    TIA

    Ricky Romaya, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Ricky Romaya

    Ricky Romaya Guest

    Forgot to ask, what is the "normal" or optimal temps for 2.0-3.xGHz AMD
    chips family, loaded and un-loaded, with the standard fan/cooling scheme (1
    to 2 extra casing fans, assuming the casing have good enough airflow)?

    TIA

    Ricky Romaya, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Ricky Romaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    Actually the Intel Xeons have "EM64T", which "extends" the Xeons to
    64-bit. I don't think (stand to be corrected) that Intel has a 64-bit
    capable processor that is equivalent to the Athlon 64s though.

    I think for "current", AMD has CPUs for 3 different sockets: Socket A,
    754, and 939.

    Some of AMD's dual core CPUS are out now, and they're called the "X2":

    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=amddc

    Jim

    ohaya, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Ricky Romaya

    Conor Guest

    Spot on that man. Yup, just about sums it up.
    Socket A (discontinued), Socket 754 (only CPUs up to 3500), Socket 939
    and Socket 940. Socket 939 seems to be the one they've settled on
    although there's news of a "M2" but if it were my money, I'd spend it
    on socket 939.

    AMD dual core chips have the X2 suffix, i.e AMD Athlon64 X2

    Conor, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Ricky Romaya

    John Weiss Guest

    That's as good a comparison as any.

    I have a dual Opteron 246 rig. You don't need Opteron unless you're going dual
    CPU. Instead, go for the FX series Athlon 64 for the best single-CPU
    performance ( => Intel Extreme).

    John Weiss, Jun 19, 2005