    to dump disk partition and file system info. Is there anything else
    I should be doing? I may never need these things again, but if I do
    I'll need to get them back up quickly.

    Paul Keusemann, May 25, 2005

  2. Just put them away in a storage room, I have lots of Nova sitting that I
    could power up if needed, make sure you do copyutils of them as you may
    have to put in a disk if you have to relight them.

    Alan D Johnson, May 26, 2005

  3. Paul Keusemann

    David Nixon Guest

    I've got an HP 9000 E35 and G50 that I can't get rid because I might need
    That could be a problem if the E35 suffers from disc stiction. This been
    my experience with E45s, even after as little as a week of downtime. A spare
    disc and a, tested, bootable recovery tape might be useful.

    David Nixon -- University of Liverpool, Computer Science

    David Nixon, May 26, 2005
  4. A minor point: If the computer has a battery for the 'time-of-day'
    clock, then it will probably be dead if you have to use the system
    again. Of course you should still be able to boot up and set the
    date/time manually.

    Frank Slootweg, May 26, 2005
  5. Yeah, that's one of the main things I'm concerned about. These are OLD
    machines. Right now I'm in the middle of a battle with a much newer
    Sun (Ultra 10) with dead or dying NVRAM. It won't boot if the NVRAM
    (which contains the TOD clock and they machine type) is dead. I've read
    that you can stop the clock on Sun machines which may help prevent battery
    drain, is it possible to stop the clock on an HP 9000? If not, how difficult
    is it to replace the battery?

    Paul Keusemann, May 27, 2005