Recommendations wanted for *small* laptops

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by chrisoxford, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. chrisoxford

    chrisoxford Guest

    I am the proud owner of an (old) Toshiba Libretto - now I am looking
    around for a modern machine which is just as wonderful and just as
    small. Here is what I have found so far:-

    1) the new Toshiba Libretto, which I don't like (both keyboard and
    mouse are worse than on the old one)

    2) the IBM ThinkPad range - but I can't find the small ones online
    (although a shop on Tottenham Court Road sells them)

    3) the smaller Sony Vaios

    4) I saw a woman at a conference with a FMV-Biblo Loox T70J which
    looked perfect - but as far as I can see this is for the Japanese
    market only (there are Looxs sold in the UK but they are *not* small
    laptops)

    Any thoughts? Any other recommendations for ultra-portable laptops
    (i.e. max 10" screen)?

    Thanks - Chris

    chrisoxford, Jul 27, 2006

  2. chrisoxford

    Chris Hill Guest

    Averatec has one. I have the 12-inch model and am happy with it.

    Chris Hill, Jul 27, 2006

  3. chrisoxford

    zwsdotcom Guest

    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES purchase an Averatec laptop, ESPECIALLY the 3700
    series subnote! Read my review at epinions.com:

    <http://www0.epinions.com/content_244418580100>

    zwsdotcom, Jul 28, 2006
  4. chrisoxford

    Chris Hill Guest

    My 3270 is a little tank. For every bad experience, you have no idea
    how many good ones there could be. The replacement model for mine has
    a small right shift key, so I wouldn't recommend it for a typist.

    Chris Hill, Jul 28, 2006
  5. chrisoxford

    zwsdotcom Guest

    While your second sentence is true, the fact that Averatec is
    universally rated as having poor support ought to worry a new
    purchaser. Look also at the Averatec forums and the various places
    where you can buy the product that also allow customers to post
    reviews. Others have reported the same problems - and the same
    ineffective support, slow turnaround.

    The 3700 series is broken. I wouldn't give one to my worst enemy. I
    advise people, in the strongest possible terms, to avoid Averatec due
    to poor build quality and support.

    zwsdotcom, Jul 28, 2006
  6. chrisoxford

    Chris Hill Guest

    Goes for the whole industry. Laptops are a disposable product; if you
    don't understand that you will be disappointed no matter what you buy.

    Chris Hill, Jul 28, 2006
  7. chrisoxford

    zwsdotcom Guest

    Some companies have a better track record than others, and bigger
    companies are often safer than smaller ones. Averatec is not even a
    manufacturer, and the product is not even built to their design
    requirements - they are a shell company that went looking for a product
    on which to put their name.

    zwsdotcom, Jul 28, 2006
  8. chrisoxford

    Chris Hill Guest

    So? Mine happens to be pretty darned good. Most companies selling
    laptops don't make them themselves, and even many better companies
    have support that sucks, aka Sony. My best recommendation is buy from
    a place like Sam's club or Costco that has a six months no questions
    return or exchange policy.

    Chris Hill, Jul 28, 2006
  9. chrisoxford

    E Brown Guest

    I like the Sony TX750 - I currently have a Sony C1XS but a couple
    of the keys are broken and keyboards never seem to come up on eBay; if
    I can't fix it, I'm replacing it with the TX750.
    The Averatec 1100/1000 series appear to meet your specs, but look
    sort of cheaply built to my eye.
    Scarce, but rather clever-looking are the Dialogue Flybooks, built
    along the lines of my Picturebook but with all the latest features.
    Pricey, though.
    I agree that the IBM ultraportables are a little big for serious
    traveling, but big is in these days.
    epbrown

    E Brown, Jul 28, 2006
  10. chrisoxford

    Ronnie Guest

    I've been working offsite in Asia, and the client's staff all had
    Fujitsu Siemens laptops which they'd selected using public tendering
    procedures. The laptops seemed quite decent quality. With one
    exception, I don't know which specific models they were using, but
    they were not large 15" models.

    One of the staff was using the small WSVGA screened laptop. It seemed
    pretty rugged, and he was based in a mountain/jungle area. I couldn't
    use it professionally because the screen height of only 600 pixels
    makes it too small for the spreadsheeting work I do, and which I
    sometimes have to project in meetings.

    I use a Toshiba Satellite Pro - it's 5 years old now. I've used
    laptops for years, but normally they fail within two years, despite my
    being careful with them because I depend on them. So I've been very
    impressed with Toshiba, the machine has certainly been a 'toughie'.

    Having decided the Fujitsu Siemens quality was reasonable, I was
    considering the Fujitsu Siemens S2110. Have you considered this
    brand?

    ______________
    best wishes,
    Ron

    Ronnie, Jul 30, 2006
  11. chrisoxford

    Geoham Guest

    Maybe look at the Dell Latitude D420. 12 inchs screen, an has as much power
    as you would need from a laptop. Also has an optional WWAN card, giving you
    3G broadband from Vodafone.

    Geo

    Geoham, Jul 30, 2006
  12. chrisoxford

    BC Guest

    Have you considered Panasonic Toughbook CF-R5?

    I have a Panasonic CF-R1N (998gram, 10.4 1024x768) dual booting WXP Prof SP2
    & RH 9.
    Not sure if they are sold direct in the UK so here are some links:
    http://www.kemplar.com/
    http://www.conics.net/
    http://www.dynamism.com/
    and a newsgroup: