Recommended Backup Software for syncing boot disk to FireWire disk

Discussion in 'Apple' started by luxor1275bc, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. luxor1275bc

    luxor1275bc Guest

    I've been using 'psync' to sync my boot disks to a 2nd internal ATA disk
    or an external FireWire disk. Yet, I am discovering that even though
    I have Mike Bombich's modified version of psync for Panther,
    I still have problems with the permissions being set correctly
    on the external FireWire disk. Thus, I want to abandon psync and
    wondered what everyone could tell me about other software that
    will do an incremental backup like this. Commercial suggestions
    are okay but I probably won't be able to get my supervisor to buy
    anything.

    Typically, I have this backup performed by cron in the early morning
    and since I want to implement this on computers where the user
    will probably turn their computer off at 5:00 pm, I want to use
    Energy Saver to start up the Mac at, say, 6:15 AM and perform
    the backup at say 6:30 AM and then just leave the Mac running
    for when they arrive. Is this a bad idea or should I shutdown
    the Mac again? Also, I want to dismount the external disk
    so that the user does not try to store data on the 2nd disk.
    If I dismount it, then I have to test if it is mounted and
    mount it if it isn't.

    e.g.

    set external=/Volumes/DailyBackup
    if [ "`df -kt hfs |grep $external`" != "" ] ; then
    ... do the backup ...
    umount -t hfs $external
    else
    mount_hfs /dev/disk2s10 /Volumes/DailyBackup
    ... do the backup ...
    umount -t hfs $external
    fi

    Is there a way to prevent a disk from being mounted at boot-time?

    But more importantly, I'm interested in other software that
    can duplicate what psync does ... that is, an incremental backup
    while maintaining the external disk's boot blocks. Thanks.

    luxor1275bc, Mar 27, 2005

  2. luxor1275bc

    Tom Stiller Guest

    The next time you perform a backup, check the state of the "Ignore
    ownership on this volume" checkbox in the "Get Info" pane for the target
    disk. It should _not_ be checked if you want to preserve the permissions
    on copied files.

    Tom Stiller, Mar 27, 2005

  3. luxor1275bc

    Paul Nevai Guest

    Tom Stiller <> aszonygya:
    :The next time you perform a backup, check the state of the "Ignore
    :eek:wnership on this volume" checkbox in the "Get Info" pane for the target
    :disk. It should _not_ be checked if you want to preserve the permissions
    :eek:n copied files.

    Or with

    vsdbutil -c ...

    and then