    tried nmap on his MBP. The machine responds but there are no network
    ports open.

    Thanks a bunch for any help.

    Lao Ming, Aug 24, 2009

  2. Is the MBP set up for screen sharing? If so, you should be able to
    show the screen on another Mac and do whatever you need to do from
    there.

    Dave Fritzinger, Aug 24, 2009

  3. Lao Ming

    Lao Ming Guest

    You probably missed this in my post but no ports were open when I used
    nmap to scan his open network ports.

    That said, I did figure out a way to do this. I just connected the
    MBP to an iMac G4 via Firewire and then started up the MBP in target
    mode. That mounted his MBP's hard disk on the iMac G4.

    Thanks for your help but now I've solved it.

    Lao Ming, Aug 24, 2009
  4. Lao Ming

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Does Target Disk Mode not work?

    Tom Stiller, Aug 25, 2009
  5. Lao said it was in fact his solution a number of hours ago.

    Do you not read threaded?

    John McWilliams, Aug 26, 2009
  6. Lao Ming

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Why so hostile? You should know that replies in usenet are not
    instantaneous. Apparently, the post confirming the solution had not
    reached my server by the time I responded.

    Tom Stiller, Aug 26, 2009
  7. Eh? These are news groups where everyone from kings to the scum of the
    earth can post and read about other people's problems.

    Michael Vilain, Aug 26, 2009
  8. Sorry, Tom, no hostility intended at all. But, do you read threaded?

    John McWilliams, Aug 26, 2009
  9. Lao Ming

    Tom Stiller Guest

    My newsreader does not display threads, but _this_ thread does not (yet)
    contain a post where Lao said it was in fact his solution.

    Tom Stiller, Aug 26, 2009
  10. Lao Ming

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Yeah, I recall a similar thread back when he was still trying to figure
    out the difference between switches and parameters with the "dd" command.

    Tom Stiller, Aug 26, 2009
  11. Lao Ming

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    He's a loon. That explains his antics adequately.

    J.J. O'Shea, Aug 26, 2009
  12. Lao Ming

    Buck Murdock Guest

    I'm a little late to the game, but I'd keep the lid closed, plug the
    monitor in, and an external keyboard and mouse. Power it up or wake it
    up on that state, and it'll treat the external display as its ONLY
    display, and you should be good to go.

    Buck Murdock, Aug 31, 2009