    VP6. Can you configure a RAID controller of the same brand to see the
    existing array?

    Thanks!

    FlyByKnight, Mar 14, 2005

  2. FlyByKnight

    Pagan Guest

    Probably your best bet is to get another of the exact same motherboard, with
    the same BIOS revision and such, and see if the data is still there.

    Second best bet is another board with the same controller. That is, a very
    distant second.
    It may be possible, but everything I've heard says it's not.

    Most folks will tell you RAID 0 is good for video stuff, but your taking
    your chances by putting anything important and/or irreplaceable on there.
    I've used it for years without issue, but recently I gave it up in favor of
    one fast drive (WD 10,000rpm), and large data drives on my systems.

    Hopefully you have a friend with the same board, or can find one on Ebay.

    Pagan

    Pagan, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Yes, provided that the PCI controller uses the HPT370(A), HPT372 or HPT374
    chipset. If it uses the HPT366, or earlier, you're out of luck, sorry.

    Provided your controller does use one of these chipsets, make sure the BIOS
    build it runs is as near as possible the same as the one on your knackered
    board, connect your array to it, and fire the PC up.

    As long as the array metrics on the discs weren't actually damaged when the
    old board failed, you will find the array immediately accessible by the new
    controller. You will then be able to access it.

    If the array contains your boot partition, and your OS is one of the NT
    family (NT, 2K, XP), you may not actually be able to boot the OS on a
    different motherboard. If this is the case, you will have to boot an OS with
    another disk, before copying the data off the array. If, OTOH, you are using
    a Win9x OS, you should find that it will boot straight back up - although
    you may then have to install extra drivers to make it work on the second set
    of hardware.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 14, 2005
  4. This is plain wrong, bad info. It is not necessary to find an exact hardware
    match for the defective motherboard. As mentioned in my other post, any PCI
    controller or motherboard with an HPT37x chip will be able to access the
    array, provided it wasn't damaged during the hardware failure.
    No. Your pessimism is misplaced.
    In which case, everything you've heard is wrong, sorry.
    Most folks? As with any PC system, you're not "taking your chances" provided
    you have a solid backup contingency in place. A RAID 0 array is just as
    vulnerable as a single disk system. Either way, if one disk fails, you've
    lost everything, unless you have a backup.

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 14, 2005
  5. FlyByKnight

    FlyByKnight Guest

    Thanks! I'll give it a go...

    Chris

    FlyByKnight, Mar 15, 2005
  6. FlyByKnight

    FlyByKnight Guest

    Worked like a charm!

    Thanks!

    FlyByKnight, Mar 20, 2005
  7. No worries, glad you got it sorted! :)

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 21, 2005