recover the BIOS on Intel motherboard failed

Discussion in 'Intel' started by john, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. john

    john Guest

    Hello,

    I have D845PT Pentium 4 intel motherboard. I am running Windows 2000.

    I had tried to upgrade the BIOS ; I
    had read carefully "Intel® Desktop Boards D845PT and D845BG Product
    Guide"
    and acted exactly accorcding to the instructions.
    Now, this upgrade failed. I was careful not to
    perform power down during the process.
    (In that manual yhey say there's a possibility that upgrading BIOS
    will fail and in such a case - we should recover the BIOS).

    So I had to recocver the BIOS.

    I had downloaded latest the BIOS version from Intel site, made a
    bootable disk (with sys a:
    on a win98 machine) and unzipped the compressed file (ptap08ib.exe) to
    the diskette.

    I had read the BIOS recover section in the motherboard manual.

    Now I removed the BIOS jumper from the motherboard and booted.
    The process began ; after a minute I heard 2 beeps , and the diskette
    green led stopped.

    Now , according to the manual , after some time the diskette should
    begin activity again and we should hear again 2 beeps.
    I had waited almost 10 minutes and it did not occur.

    (On the other hand I saw in older docs that you hear the 2 beeps only
    once).

    So I had tried again , and again the same results.

    Now , after inserting the Jumper (in Normal mode), and trying to boot
    I get nothing.

    What should I do ? the situation seems quite helpless.

    regards
    Q . John

    john, Jun 13, 2004

  2. john

    Bob Bailin Guest

    Try another floppy disk, and format it first using:
    format a: /u /s
    to make it bootable.

    It's possible that the floppy drive on the Win98 machine
    a little out of alignment compared to the one you're trying
    to recover, in which case I would try using another system.

    You can also try resetting the system by removing all the
    memory, and powering up the system. You should get an
    immediate beep code indicating that there's no memory
    present. Shut down, re-install the memory, and try BIOS
    recovery again.

    It's often helpful if all non-essential adapter cards (everything
    except video) are removed before BIOS recovery. All you
    need are video, a keyboard and a working floppy drive.
    Unplug the mouse and all other USB stuff.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Jun 13, 2004

  3. john

    vertigo Guest

    I had the same exact problem with my Intel D845BG motherboard. I tried the
    latest BIOS for the recovery disk and it did not work. However, I was
    able to get an older BIOS revision (PT-P02.EXE). I ran executable and it
    created the bootable BIOS recovery diskette.

    I then removed the BIOS jumper and started the system with the newly
    created floppy. I heard 2 beeps and saw the floppy LED light up. I
    waited until it ended and heard another 2 beeps. I then replaced the BIOS
    jumper to the default position and rebooted successfully! I entered the
    BIOS and reset to defaults. Now the system is running fine. You can find
    the older P02 BIOS revision here ->
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...roductID=785&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems

    This should correct your issue.

    vertigo, Dec 6, 2004
  4. john

    vertigo Guest

    vertigo, Dec 6, 2004
  5. john

    jake_2003 Guest

    I had the same exact problem with my Intel D845BG motherboard. I tried
    the
    latest BIOS for the recovery disk and it did not work.it came this way, im
    upgrading my bios but it give me a warning(cyclic redundancy error then
    the there nothing seen on the screen.However, I was
    able to get an older BIOS revision (PT-P02.EXE). I ran executable and it
    created the bootable BIOS recovery diskette.

    I then removed the BIOS jumper and started the system with the newly
    created floppy, but the same, theres nothing on the screen but i heard 1
    beep then ligths on after several min. it off and placed the jumper in
    normal and start it again but still theres nothing, it gives me 1 beep
    every 15sec., i check the ram and its ok and also the processor.anyone
    please help me..........thanks

    jake_2003, Feb 15, 2005