Recovery Console without recovery DVD?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Teffy, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Teffy

    Teffy Guest

    Greetings!

    I have a Toshiba Portege M200 tablet PC. My M200 came with a recovery *DVD*.
    I have no DVD drive for either the M200 or my desktop PC. Does that mean
    there is no way I can install or use the Recovery Console (short of buying a
    DVD drive)?

    I am able to create a bootable Secure Digital card, and was hoping to add
    the recovery console to it.

    This is what I have tried:

    Toshiba put a (pre-sp2) copy of the i386 folder on my hard drive. So, I
    issued the command c:\windows\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

    I got the error: "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on
    your computer is newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to
    delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your
    computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

    I had upgraded to sp2, so I figured that I must resinstall the Recovery
    Console from a slipstreamed distribution folder. I tried my own version of
    instructions at www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp as
    follows:

    1) Created c:\xp and copied the folder c:\windows\i386 to it.

    2) Downloaded the Full Network Install version of Windows XP Service Pack 2
    from the Microsoft Web site. The download version of this file is named
    WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, but I renamed it to xpsp2.exe and placed it
    in a new directory called c:\sp2.

    3) From c:\sp2 I issued the command:
    xpsp2.exe /integrate:c:\xp [ENTER]

    First, an Extract dialog box came up and extracted the files contained
    within xpsp2.exe.

    Then, XP SP2 Setup combined, or slipstreamed, the SP2 files into the XP
    install. I saw the dialog box saying, "Integrated install has completed
    successfully."

    4) Issued the command c:\xp\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

    I got this: "Error reading information from netmap.inf Installation cannot
    continue." And later, "The installation did not complete correctly. It is
    possible that Windows XP startup files in the root directory were missing or
    in use during the installation."

    I don't find the file netmap.inf on the tablet.

    Where did I run amok?

    Thanks,
    Teffy

    Teffy, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Teffy

    Chris H. Guest

    Creating a slipstream version where you need the OEM recovery CD/DVD is
    risky, at best. The OEM's installation is designed for your particular
    machine, and matches the product key which is on the bottom of your Tablet.
    When you change the installation media, you need a new product key.

    So, the question is why do you need the Recovery Console installed? I don't
    recall exactly how long I've been using Windows XP, but I've never used the
    Recovery Console in any effective manner when there's been an issue with a
    system. Since you don't have a DVD drive (Toshiba does have them for sale,
    including the Targus model I have), I would suggest to look for your Local
    Area Network (hopefully you have one) to transfer files, programs, etc.
    Depending on your setup, you can share a CD/DVD drive on another machine.

    A lot of us use imaging programs (Ghost, DriveImage or True Image, for
    example), and partition the hard drive. It takes me about 11 minutes to go
    from a bad beta crash to my saved recent image made with True Image from
    Acronis. Including Outlook emails, calendar events, and my Outlook Express
    Store of newsgroups.

    Chris H., Dec 11, 2004

  3. Teffy

    Teffy Guest

    Thanks for the scoop, Chris!

    Teffy

    Teffy, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Teffy

    Chris H. Guest

    Hope the information is helpful.

    Chris H., Dec 11, 2004
  5. Teffy

    MiniMage Guest

    I know it's late for a response, but...

    I read this thread and thought "Recovery Console? What could it
    hurt?" I attempted to follow (basically) the directions found
    here:
    http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2004/10/windows_xp_reco.html ,
    except I ran the command from the i386 folder that came on my HD.
    When I got the error message about my version of Windows being
    newer than the CD, I scrounged up an XP SP2 iso (full, not just
    the service pack installer), mounted it in Daemon Tools and ran
    winnt32.exe /cmdcons from that i386 folder. Now, when I boot my
    TPC, one of the boot options is Recovery Console.

    MiniMage, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Teffy

    Chris H. Guest

    Cool. I was trying from my regular XP SP2 CD. Bet it just might work in
    Safe Mode, too. :cool:

    Chris H., Jan 20, 2005