Red Lights On NIC Card and Monitor Screwed Up After Power Outage

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. Yesterday there was a power outage. When I got home, after I noticed
    that the power was off. I turned on my computer. I leave my computer
    on 24/7. When I turned on the computer, it would load Windows fine
    because I can hear the Windows Chime but I can't see anything as the
    monitor is all black even thought the power is on and is connected
    properly. The monitor also does not work on another PC. I looked at
    the back of the computer and I noticed the NIC Card's lights is red
    when it is usually green.

    The Monitor is a new one that I bought after Christmas. I already
    emailed the makers hopefully I can get a response soon if this problem
    is covered under warranty.

    The NIC is the one that came from Dell in the Dimension 8200.
    According to Dell's site and my Service Tag, it is a GVC-REALTEK. The
    warranty on my computer is over. With the red lights on the NIC card,
    is the only fix is to get a new NIC card? As the cable that was
    attached to the NIC card and the Workstation Switch both work fine as,
    I just hooked up the cable to my laptop straight from the NIC card on
    my computer and it works

    Hopefully nothing else is screwed after the power outage.

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 3, 2006

  2. Dan Sgambelluri

    S.Lewis Guest

    Dan -

    Your initial assessment sounds about right. You may have to use any
    replacement NIC in a different slot, but hopefully the PCI slot itself is
    unaffected.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 3, 2006

  3. I am at my parents house using my computer minus the monitor and it
    works. the NIC card's light is still red though but it works fine.

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 3, 2006
  4. Dan Sgambelluri

    S.Lewis Guest

    So.........what is your assessment at this point?

    S.Lewis, Jul 4, 2006
  5. Monitor is screwed. I'm bringing it in to see if it can be fixed or I
    can get a replaced as it is under warranty.

    I will replace the NIC card just to be on the safe side.

    Dan

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 4, 2006
  6. Strange, the monitor works now

    Dan Sgambelluri, Jul 4, 2006