Reflowing a video BGA?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by mike, Jul 7, 2011.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I bought a Thinkpad X31.
    Fails video memory test and the image looks like
    it's in 8-bit color mode.
    Pushing hard on the motherboard fixes the image.
    Lots of googling uncovers many people who've reflowed
    the nVidea BGA chip by means varying from oven to hot
    air to a blowtorch.
    The bad news about this one is that the video BGA
    and a RAM BGA are sitting on a carrier that's looks
    like it's made out of circuit board material and is also
    BGA'd to the mother board.

    I'm not optimistic about getting the heat thru the chips
    and the carrier to the motherboard without burning up something.

    The thing works well enough to surf the web or control stuff.
    I'd hate to brick it.

    Anybody got experience reflowing this dual-stack kind of thing?

    Thanks,
    mike

    mike, Jul 7, 2011

  2. mike

    Lou Marco Guest

    Feh, why bother? Buy a used motherboard on ebay for 35-30 bucks.

    Lou Marco, Jul 7, 2011

  3. mike

    Ryan P. Guest

    I would tend to agree with Lou's response... Just took a look on eBay,
    and they seem to be pretty cheap.

    But, for the reflow... The GPU for my system is set up the same way.
    Look at the image of a DV6000 motherboard; the GPU is right next to
    the CPU slot.

    I don't think you have much to worry about.

    I've used the oven trick twice on my HP laptop, with no ill effects on
    any of the components. You just need to make sure your oven temp
    indicator is accurate and doesn't go above 400-410.
    I removed all stickers and plastic film covers and all the cables and
    wires I possibly good. None of the remaining plastic pieces or chips
    seem to have suffered from what I can see.

    I can tell you that its very important to let the board cool down
    slowly... Turn off the heat after 10 minutes, pull the oven door ajar,
    and wait a couple hours to cool down to room temp.

    And if you toast the motherboard, the replacement is $40. An
    inconvenience, yeah, but not like mine, which is $100+. :)

    Ryan P., Jul 7, 2011