Reformat Mac firewire disk to Windows disk

Discussion in 'Apple' started by brucebiz_wi, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. brucebiz_wi

    brucebiz_wi Guest

    Hi Folks!

    I've bought a new 320 GB internal drive to use for backing up data off
    of my Powermac G4 and iBook G4, both running Tiger. I've given my old
    80GB external Firewire drive to my girlfriend for her to use to back up
    her PC data (WinXP Home). The PC has a 6-pin firewire cable.

    Because the FW drive is mac formatted, the PC sees it as a disk but
    doesn't respond to reformating requests (clicking Format in the menu
    where I right click on the disk in My Computer window). I don't know
    if it's possible to format the FW drive for PCs without purchasing
    additional software, which I'd rather not do for a one-time affair (the
    drive change, not the girl!).

    Can anyone help me with this? I can use Mac Tiger tools, Mac Panther
    tools, or WinXP Home edition tools, but I don't know where to look.
    Oh, she does have Norton Disk Doctor, but so far it just wants to scan
    for partitions and takes several hours doing it.

    TIA!
    Bruce

    brucebiz_wi, Nov 15, 2005

  2. on your OSX machie -
    disk utility -> erase (select Dos format)

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch, Nov 15, 2005

  3. brucebiz_wi

    brucebiz_wi Guest

    Thanks, I didn't know there was a DOS format available (apparently, you
    can't format Volumes in DOS, but you can format entire disks, which is
    why I'd never seen it, having always dealt with volumes).

    Thanks again!
    Bruce

    brucebiz_wi, Nov 15, 2005