    these cards are listed on Newegg.

    Thanks in advance
    Eddie

    Eddie Crismond, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Eddie Crismond

    Ctal Guest

    The 9600 Pro's with 400Mhz memory are the "Lite" or "EZ" versions. They are
    a 9600 Pro core with cheaper memory. True Pro should be 400/600, which
    indicates the memory is 300Mhz (300 DDR X 2 = 600)

    I don't buy refurbished video cards though, so I can't advise on which one
    to purchase. NewEgg has the Info Tek card you mentioned and it is a "Lite"
    version or whatever. Looks to be $111. For $14 dollars more they have this
    one which is new and a true "Pro"

    www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-219&depa=0

    Ctal, Jul 18, 2004

  3. Eddie Crismond

    Augustus Guest

    The standard memory clock for a 9600 Pro is 300Mhz (600 effective). There's
    a 9600AIW with 325Mhz memory too. I'd be very suspicious of a 9600 Pro with
    200Mhz memory. Is the new one a 256Mb card? Often they have much slower
    memory than 128Mb versions. What's the advertised GPU core speed on the new
    card with 200Mhz memory? It should be 400Mhz. If it's 325Mhz, then it's a
    straight 9600 or 9600SE.

    Augustus, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Eddie Crismond

    75475,451 Guest

    Thanks, I might just get that one. This is for a relative, and she said
    she was comfortable with $110, so I can stretch it to this I believe.

    Eddie

    75475,451, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Eddie Crismond

    75475,451 Guest

    Here are the specs of the 'refurbished' 9600 Pro...

    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 9600PRO/400MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/600MHz
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out)+DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL
    Cable/Accessories: Manual, 3 CD, 1 Cable, DVI to D-Sub Adapter
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

    Model#: R9600-PRO C3H
    Item#: N82E16814240014R

    And here are the specs of the non-refurbished...

    Chipset: ATI RADEON 9600PRO
    Memory128MB DDR
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video/Composite Out)+DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0, OpenGL
    Cable/Accessories: Manual, 3 CD, 1 Cable, DVI to D-Sub Adapter
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
    Retail Box (See pics for details)

    Model#: R9600-PRO C3H
    Item#: N82E16814240014

    As you can see they don't tell you anyting about GPU or memory clocks.
    But I think I may simply get this true Radeon 9600 Pro as another poster
    has suggested...
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-219&depa=0

    I'm starting to finaly get a grasp on video cards. I hardly play video
    games at all, so I have mostly ignored these basic specs before.

    Thanks
    Eddie

    75475,451, Jul 19, 2004
  6. "Refurbished" means they blow the dust off it and wrap it in
    an anti-static bag. Possibly they replaced the cooling fan,
    but not likely. Don't worry about it not having the original
    driver CD and manual, they are out of date before the retail
    box leaves the manufacturer.

    If the price difference from new is less that the cost of a
    replacement fan, then don't bother. This is the only thing
    that will go, and refurbished is an unknown quantity. However
    if it is much cheaper, and they give a few months warantee,
    then go for it.

    John Saunders, Jul 19, 2004