Regarding Intel Core 2 Duo and Operating systems

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Jens, Mar 14, 2008.

  1. Jens

    Jens Guest

    Hi,

    Maybe someone here can enlighten me. I got a laptop with a Intel Core
    2 Duo T7500 processor 2.2 Ghz.
    I've heard it has several cores, and only that it can run a ia64
    instruction set.
    However i've taken a look at the version of windows that installed and
    it doesn't say anywhere
    that it's the 64 bit version. It used to be that you needed at special
    version of the OS to run another
    architecture (like Windows NT for Alpha Workstations).

    Does that mean that the processor is operating a 32bit compatibility
    mode or something?
    Am i not getting the full benefit of the processor or is it designed
    to run effeciently in 32bit
    mode as well?

    - Jens

    Jens, Mar 14, 2008

  2. Jens

    Jens Guest

    Ah, nevermind it's not a 64bit processor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Duo

    Jens, Mar 14, 2008

  3. Jens

    Jens Guest

    Jens, Mar 14, 2008
  4. It's not IA64, that's the Itanium. It's x86_64 which is an x86 with the
    64 extensions. It's completely compatible with older 32 bit x86s which is
    why it can run XP which is a 32 bit OS. It can also run a 64 bit OS, 64
    bit Linux for example. There are a couple of advantages that running in
    64 bit mode that you aren't getting by running XP. The big one is the
    ability to use more than 3.5G of RAM. XP uses the basic 32 bit addressing
    mode so it can only address a total physical address space of 4G. Part of
    that space is used for IO which is why it can only use about 3.5G of RAM.
    32 bit Linux is available with the PAE extensions which allows you to use
    64G of RAM. A 64 bit OS like 64 bit Linux or Vista can address 2^48 bytes
    of RAM. The other advantage is that the 64 bit mode has a more registers
    than 32 bit mode. Also 64 bit OSes are compiled using all of the new
    instructions that have been added since the 386. 32 bit OSes have to be
    complied for a lowest common denominator. In the Linux world that's
    usually the 386. I don't know what MS does because they don't tell you
    the way Linux distributions do. However it's probably the Pentium I
    that's the target for XP, it could be the Pentium II but it can't be
    anything later than that.

    General Schvantzkopf, Mar 14, 2008
  5. Jens

    Jens Guest

    Thanks, that cleared up some things for me :) Yeah linux is somewhat
    more
    transparent when it comes to architectures, after all it has the arch
    command.

    Makes me wonder if windows can really take advantage of a multi-core
    processor at
    all. It detects two cores, similar to when you're running
    hyperthreading, but
    they seem to be running under exactly the same load the whole time.
    Probably it's not really taking advantage of the fact that two cores
    are available.
    It would be neat if you could have some big job (oh lets say video
    encoding )
    occupying one core, while the other is executing whatever other minor
    task
    you're doing at the same time. I guess i could post this questing in a
    windows xp
    newsgroup.

    Jens, Mar 14, 2008
  6. XP is multithreaded in fact so was Win2K. However the correct kernel has
    to be installed when you install the OS. If you did a clean install on
    your current hardware then it would have done the right thing. If you
    tried to move the disk from an old single core machine to a new dual core
    machine then you would be stuck with a uniprocessor kernel. MS ties their
    license to the machine it was delivered on so they don't do anything that
    would make it easy to move the OS to another system. In Linux it's
    trivial to change the kernel, it's a feature of the system.

    General Schvantzkopf, Mar 14, 2008
  7. Jens

    DaveW Guest

    That CPU runs equally well in 64 bit and 32 bit modes. It is backward
    compatible.

    DaveW, Mar 14, 2008
  8. The X86-64 based processors can allocate much more than 64GiB when not
    used in legacy PAE mode.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

    crain.nicholas, Mar 16, 2008
  9. Jens

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    One thing to note, there is not just one type of 64-bit. The instruction
    set on Itanium is known as IA64, but the instruction set that runs on PC
    processors is known as x86-64 (usually shortened to x64, sometimes also
    known by their commercial brandnames AMD64 or EM64T). IA64 and x64 are
    not compatible with each other, even though they are both 64-bit
    instruction sets. English and Swahili are also not compatible with each
    other, even though they are both human languages.

    Anyways, the x64 instruction set is a direct derivation of the 32-bit
    x86 instruction set, so operating systems designed for x86 work without
    modification on x64 processors, right out of the box. So usually you
    will see most manufacturers package the machine with a 32-bit Windows
    rather than an x64 Windows, even though they can run the 64-bit Windows.

    There is a few features that are not available to you in 32-bit mode
    that you get in 64-bit mode. It's mostly things like the extra memory
    addressing, and there are more registers available to programs which
    should make them faster. But I doubt it'll add to much more than 25% of
    additional performance.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Mar 20, 2008