    after restarting, contact your system administrator.

    I am at wits end!

    Thank you.

    CCB, Jan 10, 2009

  2. Make sure you are logged in with administrator rights, then

    start/run/cmd

    then navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Journal by;

    CD "C:\Program Files\Windows Journal"

    then type

    journal.exe /repairnotewriter

    above from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824385

    Beverly Howard [Microsoft MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jan 11, 2009

  3. CCB

    CCB Guest

    Thank you Ms. Howard,

    I have tried that a number of times. I still receive the same error message:

    Windows Journal cannot start. There was an error initializing inking
    components. If this problem persists after restarting, contact your system
    administrator.

    CCB, Jan 11, 2009
  4. Unfortunately, that indicates an os component problem... the error you
    are receiving is what I see when I tried to install journal on a non
    tablet pc... more details please.

    You are welcome, but you might take a look at http://BevHoward.com ;-)

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jan 11, 2009
  5. CCB

    NotDifficult Guest

    Hello Mr. Howard:

    I'm having the same problem: Windows Journal cannot initialize the inking
    components. Trying "journal.exe /repairnotewriter" brings excatly the same
    error message.

    More symptoms:
    Character pad seems to be inactiave (there is just a gray area where you are
    usually supposed to be able to write)
    see screenshot: http://www2.ohrt.org/upload/tabletpc/character pad.PNG
    The writing pad is not clickable at all (the button is disabled) Tooltip:
    "The writing pad is not available for the language you have selected."
    The display keyboard works.

    OneNote works fine.
    Tablet PowerToys work as well.

    After installing Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Recognizer
    Pack, I tried to install writing support for many languages (French, Spanish,
    Italian, German). Installing it for English was not possible (no option to
    select writing support (even though English keyboard is active). Same
    behaviour for all languages.

    Note: Before I was not able to activate the tablet input area at all. So I
    reinstalled SP3 which brought me to this (slightly improved) state.

    Note: Region settings -> languages -> details -> advanced:
    -all text based services are NOT deactivated.
    -services are supposed to be supported by ALL programs.

    What else could be of help?
    Win XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, SP3 (German)
    Thinkpad X61 Tablet

    NotDifficult, Mar 19, 2009
  6. CCB

    NotDifficult Guest

    I'm having exactly the same problem: Windows Journal cannot initialize the

    NotDifficult, Mar 19, 2009
  7. Since journal is a tablet specific app that ms has configured to run
    only on windows tablet os, a critical part of the tablet os is not
    installed or not running.

    have no solutions nor ideas... the oem is the best bet in these cases.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Mar 19, 2009
  8. As Journal is one of the *integrated* applications (mire or less just a
    "demo" for what a TabletPC can be used for) IMO something is broken deep
    down in the OS.
    My only suggestion: Make a fresh install from scratch.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Mar 19, 2009
  9. CCB

    NotDifficult Guest

    Thanks guys, that is excatly what I feared. Nevertheless, now I am sure that
    there is no way to repair it (without reinstalling XP).

    NotDifficult, Mar 21, 2009
  10. CCB

    warrengoff

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have had a very similar problem but it happened after I would close an instance of Window's Journal (Windows 7 64 bit, Fujitsus tablet) and then try to retart another. I would have to reboot to get it to work again but with the same limitation. I have been able to fix the problem by stopping and then restarting the following services: TabletInputService and TabletServiceISD. Here's a code snippet that I have written in VB6 which does this as the problem has been recurrent. You can also do this in a command window. I hope it helps...Warren

    Private Sub Form_Load()
    Shell ("net stop TabletInputService")
    Shell ("net stop TabletServiceISD")

    Shell ("net start TabletInputService")