Reliability in the 3TB drives?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Postman Delivers, Feb 20, 2011.

  1. I wonder how good the reliability will be in a 3TB drive?

    I have looked for good solid reviews and do not seem to locate much info
    on the reliability of a 3 TB hard drive, other than they all overheat in
    the current external hard drive enclosures just like the 1 and 2TB drives
    that do not include a cooling mod or fan...

    Currently It seems to be less expensive to purchase an external USB2 3TB
    drive and open the case to put the large Sata drive into your desktop,
    than to purchase a bare 3TB drive...

    On sale these externals are about $160, that is about $57 a TB accounting
    for sale tax...
    http://www.jr.com/hitachi/pe/HIT_HXSDNB3001/

    WD
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/67c774p

    Seagates Go Flex going for about $20 more. The go flex software is
    useless in Linux, but it is still a bare drive after formatting &
    removing from the case (or removing and formating is faster).

    JR the postman

    Postman Delivers, Feb 20, 2011

  2. Postman Delivers

    BillW50 Guest

    In Postman Delivers typed on 20 Feb 2011 17:56:49 GMT:
    Really? I have two Samsung Story 1.5TB external USB drives and there are
    no heat problems at all. No fans either. Although they are 5400rpm
    drives and they automatically power down the drive in 5 minutes if it
    hasn't been accessed. And there is no way I know to override the
    shutdown. Otherwise they are very nice drives. Probably not good to use
    in a desktop computer though.

    BillW50, Feb 20, 2011