    the RAID-1 and its reliability vs. a more expensive SCSI solution.

    Any suggestion?

    Thank you for replying.

    Giobibo, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Giobibo

    Mercury Guest

    Look for Hotswap and email alerts. I don't think you will find either in a
    built in controller.

    Be aware that there is no such thing as a 24 / 7 system. There are *none*.
    You may get 99.999% up time with good management... It is best to plan
    outage window allowances eg x * y minutes per annum at random off peak times
    to enable you to do patching & reboot, upgrades, check / replace fans, psu,
    clean, test etc.

    I have several systems running like that using raptors on adaptec sata raid
    in 1u racks. If a machine fails, it gets swapped out with a spare - hdd's
    get swapped manually.

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Giobibo

    Michael S. Guest

    I used RAID 1 for a month before returning to RAID 0 (same mobo and paired
    Raptors) and both RAIDs work great--BUT I use the Intel controller.

    Just curious--why would you rather use the Promise controller rather than
    disabling it in BIOS and use the Intel controller for RAID 1??

    MikeSp

    Michael S., Jan 7, 2005
  4. Giobibo

    John McCoy Guest

    Why did you go to RAID 0?

    John

    John McCoy, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Giobibo

    Michael S. Guest

    John--it was out of the quest for speed and the ignorance that even using
    Raptors in RAID 0 that the increase in speed for my applications would be
    miniscule at best. In this new computer build (6 months ago) I had to try
    both RAID 1 and RAID 0 and at that time, RAID 0 was being hyped a lot and I
    tend (sometimes) to be gullible;-)

    The next time I fdisk the main hard drives and start over (when it is time
    in another year), I WILL go back to RAID 1.

    MikeSp

    Michael S., Jan 7, 2005
  6. Giobibo

    John McCoy Guest

    Yeah, from what I read the speed was negligible and your rate of failure
    increases. I think RAID 1 makes more sense.

    Thanks for the reply

    John McCoy, Jan 7, 2005