    Is there any method to work arround it?

    Thank you.
    kk.cheung

    s5plc, Mar 30, 2007

  2. s5plc

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Hmm ... first off -- I would suggest that you compare the EEPROM
    contents of the two machines. I suspect in particular that one is set
    to boot from disk0, and the other from disk1.

    Use "printenv" from the openboot prom level.

    In particular, the following setting may be different on the
    two machines:

    boot-device=disk

    That one will boot from disk 0, while a setting of "disk1" will boot
    from the other disk slot in the box, and other settings could be
    expecting to boot from external disks.

    It also could be set to boot from the net, or CD-ROM, or other
    possible options.

    Compare *all* of the settings, and if you find any different,
    figure out whether they make a difference to the boot process.

    Good luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Mar 31, 2007

  3. The system should be able to boot from the disk just fine.

    But the booting will fail at some point with "failed to mount root"
    or "failed to fsck" or what not.

    The reason for this is that the U1 and the U1E use a different SCSI
    controller (esp vs fas). So the disk paths used by Solaris are
    completely different and even the controller numbers will be different.

    If you have a merged / & /usr this is fairly easy to recover from;
    if not, than it's much harder.

    What may work is replacing /etc/path_to_inst with a file containing
    just:

    #path_to_inst_bootstrap_1

    and touching /reconfigure before shutting the U1 down and moving the
    disk to a U1E.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Apr 1, 2007