Remote Desktop/PC Anywhere scenario

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Leaenna Mills, May 4, 2007.

  1. Hope someone can help with this.

    My Dimension 9200 running XP Pro was bubbling along quite nicely with a
    video capture card that was driving my CCTV system here.

    Upgrading to Vista resulted in incompatibility with the OS and my capture
    card drivers. Good old Vista.

    The card manufacturer hasn't issued Vista drivers but I've got a redundant
    Dimension 8400 that I can load XP and the card surveillance software on and
    put the card in there.

    I don't have a monitor for the 8400 so I was wondering about sitting the
    unit in the corner and using Remote Desktop or something on my 9200 to be
    able to view anything I need to. I used PC Anywhere about 10 years ago but
    things have moved on and I'm rusty with this area of technology..........

    Does there need to be a physical wired connection between the 8400 and my
    9200? What if I buy a cheapy wireless USB dongle and join the 8400 to my
    wireless network?

    I guess what I'm basically asking is: is what I'm trying to do (a) possible
    and (b) relatively straightforward?

    TIA.

    Leaenna Mills, May 4, 2007

  2. Leaenna Mills

    S.Lewis Guest

    In general terms, yes. Just network the 8400 via wireless or cabled to your
    router, and then load the remote software on it.

    I use: http://www.download.com/LogMeIn-Free/3000-7240_4-10434405.html

    Others here may prefer Windows native remote access. GoToMyPC is alright,
    but I was under the impression it was pretty pricey when I looked at it 2
    years ago.......

    Anyway, once the target computer is on the network and the remote software
    is installed, you can log in via the LogMeIn web interface and control the
    8400.

    In theory. g

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2007

  3. Leaenna Mills

    Tom Scales Guest

    Won't work. The video isn't transmitted to the RDP client.

    Sorry

    Tom Scales, May 4, 2007
  4. Leaenna Mills

    S.Lewis Guest

    Good point. Have never tried it. Glad monitors are cheap.

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2007
  5. Leaenna Mills

    S.Lewis Guest

    Scratch that. It does work without monitor.

    Target system: Dimension 8300 running Windows Vista Ultimate (this version
    of LogMeIn isn't recommended for Vista, but using it anyway. They have a
    beta out....)

    Control system is running WinXP Pro SP2.

    So yeah. She can set up her 8400 with the software and then pull the
    monitor. I pulled the monitor while on the desktop, then forced a warm
    reboot and it all checks good.

    -Stew

    S.Lewis, May 5, 2007
  6. I do both those all the time. We have a headless PC at work that drives
    several display screens in public areas of the building - eg reception -
    that shows videos, Powerpoints etc.

    It's essentially headless and we control it over VNC. Yes, the frame
    rate is poor but I can definitely see full screen video. That's using
    UltraVNC - although I'm pretty sure we've had it working using TightVNC
    in the past. No special configuration required.

    We also have some RDP based thin clients and they show videos fine.

    Alex

    Alex Harrington, May 5, 2007