Remote x11 apps get multiple resize events

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jonathan Joseph, May 13, 2008.

  1. I'm having a problem with x11 apps running on a remote machine displaying
    and displaying on my mac. When I resize the window, multiple resize events
    are generated, causing the window (containing an image) to redraw multiple
    times. Because the app is remote, this can be a slow process - you drag the
    resize handle and then the app redraws the window a bunch of times before
    settling down at the desired size.

    What I expect to happen, and what I see when running the same application
    locally is that the window border resizes (so you can see what the final
    size will be), but the widget resize event is not generated until the mouse
    button is released.

    I'm not sure why the behavior should be different for local/remote apps, but
    I'm trying to find a way tell the window manager to NOT send all of these
    intermediate resize events to the remote app. Tweaking the app to ignore
    multiple consecutive resize events won't even work because no event is sent
    to the remote app when the mouse button is finally released. The resize
    events seem to only be set on mouse motion.

    Thanks for any help.

    -Jonathan

    Jonathan Joseph, May 13, 2008

  2. Precisely. That is a more concise description of the problem. For local
    apps, X11 is doing static resizing, but for remote apps, it is doing live
    resizing.
    I'm new to macs and OS X, so I'm not familiar with what Apple has and hasn't
    implemented. However, the X11 implementation on my mac is clearly doing
    static resizing for local applications, while it is doing live resizing for
    remote applications. So it seems capable of doing both. I'm not sure why
    it is not doing the same thing for both local and remote apps.

    In the dim and distant past, I seem to remember being able to tell the
    window manager (under some other system - not sure which) whether it should
    do static resizing or live resizing. Is there really no way to tell the
    window manager on the mac (quartz-wm?) whether to do static or live
    resizing?

    Thanks.

    -Jonathan

    Jonathan Joseph, May 13, 2008

  3. By the way,

    I'm running leopard 10.5.2

    -Jonathan

    Jonathan Joseph, May 13, 2008
  4. Jonathan Joseph

    JF Mezei Guest

    Would there be some option in the quartz-wm for this ? Window resize
    events are captured by the window manager who does the window decoration
    resize and then gives the application a resize event. Quartz-wm, appears
    to be sending progressive resize events.

    JF Mezei, May 13, 2008