    vents
    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Tom

    Quaoar Guest

    Typically, on the backplane where the cables connect there are several
    screws, which, when removed, allow the case to slide off, revealing the
    drive. If that doesn't work or you cannot see the screws, then remove
    the rubber feet that often hide the screws.

    Quaoar, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    No luck couldn't find any screws . Anybody opened one of these yet??

    Tom, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Tom

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    I've got a Maxtor 80G external that was tricky to open, and had no
    screws. There were little plastic locking tabs that you could get at
    through small slots along the seam between the halves. Once I figured
    this out, I still ended up breaking one off before I could get it
    open, but it went back together OK.

    When I put a bigger HD in it, the new HD wouldn't spin up at all. The
    old one still works fine. Dunno if your WD will have the same
    problem. Note that some older USB externals can't handle drives
    larger than 128GB (IIRC), depending on the chipset they use.

    Neil Maxwell, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Neil was yours the same model number???

    Tom, Feb 23, 2006
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Well I was able to get the case open and install the new 200GB Maxtor drive.
    At first it didn't see it then I realized the drive was not formatted and I
    took it out and formatted inside PC. Once I strapped it correctly it works
    just great

    Tom, Mar 8, 2006
  7. Tom

    Guest Guest

    How did you get it open?

    Guest, Apr 2, 2006
  8. Tom

    Tom Guest

    The silver sides slide toward back of unit and them pull off. they were
    very tight

    Tom, Apr 2, 2006