    Hey, while we're at it, is there a way to change the start menu button to be
    just the windows icon and not the icon + the word "Start"? I think I've
    figured out what it does by now windows :p

    superminnick, Feb 7, 2005

  2. superminnick

    Mickey Segal Guest

    There was a recent PowerPoint talk by someone at Microsoft about this. The
    gist was as follows but I didn't record the source.

    To remove or restore the TIP icon, launch Run, type command and then:

    For Removing type:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\tipband.dll"

    For Restoring type:
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\tipband.dll"

    Afterwards for either Removing or Restoring:
    reboot and in Taskbar settings check "Show quick launch"

    Mickey Segal, Feb 7, 2005

  3. superminnick

    Jan Wagner Guest

    You could for example use one of the (commercial...) progs at
    http://www.stardock.com/

    cheers,
    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, Feb 7, 2005
  4. superminnick

    superminnick Guest

    Thanks, the TIP shortcut is now gone.

    As for the start menu, it's too bad there's no easier way than installing
    third party software to fix it.

    Thanks for the info

    superminnick, Feb 7, 2005
  5. superminnick

    Jan Wagner Guest

    Well, I suppose you could do it with a resource editor too if you just
    modify system files (explorer.exe, user.exe?). A nice res editor is
    http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

    Actually there are even some sort of instructions at
    http://www.overclockinghq.com/articles/renamestartmenu.php

    Seems like the logo is in bitmap 176 or 143. Strings as in the above
    instructions.

    Ok then, good luck! ;-)

    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, Feb 8, 2005