Removeable SATA drive keeps being flagged as dynamic/foreign ?!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ScottHW, Jun 10, 2006.

  1. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    I have two systems:

    1) New ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe with AMD 4200
    2) Older ASUS A7V333

    I have identical "EZ Swap 2" removable SATA trays in both. The
    A8N32-SLI has built in SATA support, the A7V333 has a SATA PCI card.

    Note:
    * RAID is turned off in both machines.
    * All removeable drives have been created as Basic disks.

    I set this up thinking I could move drives back and forth between them
    as needed, but I am finding than when I move a drive from the A8N32-SLI
    to the A7V333, the drive gets flagged as Dynamic and Foreign in Disk
    Management, has a yellow exclamation point, and cannot be partitioned.
    The only way to bring it back online is to right click, convert to
    Basic, wich obviously blows away my data. Good God, how did that
    happen ? The other way works fine (taking a drive from the A7V333 to
    the A8N32-SLI), but the A8N32-SLI is defiling the damn thing somehow,
    so its a one way street. Anyone have any idea why this is happening ?

    ScottHW, Jun 10, 2006

  2. ScottHW

    VanShania Guest

    It would probably work if you stop using your boot drives.

    --
    Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
    MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner

    3DMark05Free-Overall-3134 1024X768, 4XAA/8XAF 6.4Drivers
    Cpu - 4405
    3Dmark2001 - 8702 4XAA/8XAF 1280X1024

    Games I'm Playing- IL-2 Sturmovick Series
    Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
    Civ IV, Warhammer 40,000 Gold

    VanShania, Jun 12, 2006

  3. ScottHW

    ScottHW Guest

    Oh, you mean if I leave my computers turned off I won't have this
    probem ? Yeah, that would work ;-)

    (Otherwise, I am not sure I understand your statement. Those
    removeables are not boot drives.)

    Scott

    ScottHW, Jun 13, 2006