    which I have successfully loaded on two other Dells but mine is being
    blocked by the supposed Privacy Service and I can't find where it
    would be located. The error message being displayed is 7.1.015.

    Chuck, Jan 27, 2008

  2. Chuck

    Journey Guest

    I'd run CCleaner and see if that fixes the problem.

    Journey, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Chuck

    Kevin Guest

    Have you uninstalled McAfee off the Start menu or, your other choice,
    Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel? How about the McAfee website and
    check for an uninstall tool there?

    Kevin, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Chuck

    Ben Myers Guest

    .... Preceded by uninstalling it from the Add/Remove Programs in the Control
    Panel, if not done already. If, for some reason Add/Remove does not work, boot
    in Safe Mode, delete the McAfee program folders from Program Files, then run
    CCleaner. Reboot, and run CCLeaner again. But really, it's best to get a
    clean uninstall of the McAfee, provided that the software allows itself to be
    uninstalled cleanly.

    My major, major criticism of both the McAfee and Symantec AV products is that
    they often do not uninstall cleanly from the system, leaving a mess for whatever
    AV software supercedes them, even an update of their own products. So I simply
    recommend that people not use their products, which suffer from the same bloat
    and complexity as Microsoft's. Gee, maybe their software designers have been
    exchanging tips and pointers on best practices... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Chuck

    WaIIy Guest

    Take a look here -

    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=107083&lc=1033

    I find it pathetic when an app can't even cleanly uninstall itself.

    I've seen very few that will.

    WaIIy, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Chuck

    RnR Guest

    Short of a total OS reinstall, one could edit the registry.
    Personally I've done it with good results but I don't recommend it for
    most.

    RnR, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Chuck

    Journey Guest

    I have only installed anti-virus software on one of my computers --
    the one I use for testing software or other downloads (still an XP
    system).

    On my other ones I don't have anti-virus, anti-spyware, or firewall
    active. I suppose I should re-think the firewall part of that.

    Is there a web-based virus checker that does a good job, or do I
    always have to install something that latches onto my system and sucks
    the lifeblood out of it?

    Journey, Jan 28, 2008
  8. Chuck

    Journey Guest

    RnR, when you edit the registry what do you do -- how do you know what
    edits to do? Do you back up the registry, and if so how do you
    restore from it? Just wondering.

    Journey, Jan 28, 2008
  9. Chuck

    Ben Myers Guest

    After a number of successful confrontations with the registry, it is possible to
    edit it with surgical precision and 1000% focus on the job at hand. And if a
    system is even partially hosed up, screwing up a registry entry often will not
    make it any worse. I've had to do registry edits to get rid of the NAV or
    McAfee AV junk. I usually tell my clients to go away for a while and leave me
    alone, much like a doctor doing brain surgery. You wouldn't want the person's
    relatives in the OR if you were doing brain surgery, would you?

    Who was the mad scientist who designed the Windows registry. It certainly is
    not an intelligent design.

    For the most part though, if an uninstall of either one does not work cleanly,
    it is sufficient to boot in safe mode, remove the entire program folder(s)
    manually (Symantec and McAfee, I think install crapola in the Common Software
    folder), then run CCleaner. Abexo is another reliable registry cleanup tool
    that seems to find stuff that CCleaner can't... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 28, 2008
  10. Chuck

    RnR Guest

    I think Ben answered you already but I'll answer your question how I
    do it. I think Ben's way is safer for most people but since I'm not
    afraid of the registry I'll probably continue to do it the way I'm use
    to.

    Usually I use about 3 programs to assist me when I edit the registry.
    One is for backing it up first, the next for editing the registry and
    the last one for cleaning up leftover / useless links in the registry
    after the manual edit. I can give you the names of the programs but
    of course there are other programs I'm sure that do the same thing.
    Usually I only do this registry edit if my uninstall program (which
    also looks into the registry to uninstall) does not do a clean job or
    fails to work for some rare reason. When I do the edit, I usually do
    a find command in the editor for a particular word or words... let say
    I want to delete Norton Anti virus so I might run the program and look
    into it's help file to see what names it might run under such as
    Symantec, NAV, etc.... . Then this is what I try to find in my
    registry and then I'll delete those entries. After that, I run my
    registry cleaner to find any remaining links (perhaps from my editing)
    that are no longer linked to anything and are un-necessary and clean
    them out. Remember tho before I begin any edit, I back up the
    registry first just in case I mess it up. That's basically the jest
    of it all. Again, Ben's way is probably safer to do for most people
    (but I guess I'm not most people evidently <g>).

    RnR, Jan 28, 2008
  11. Chuck

    RJ Guest

    How to uninstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee
    Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)
    the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool. This option should only be used
    as an alternative if you cannot remove your McAfee product through the
    normal Add/Remove Programs.

    Affected Products:
    a.. McAfee Security Center
    b.. McAfee VirusScan
    c.. McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
    d.. McAfee Privacy Service
    e.. McAfee SpamKiller
    f.. McAfee Wireless Network Security
    g.. McAfee SiteAdvisor
    h.. McAfee Data Backup
    i.. McAfee Network Manager
    j.. McAfee Easy Network
    k.. McAfee AntiSpyware
    Affected Operating Systems:
    a.. Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    b.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    c.. Microsoft Windows XP Home
    d.. Microsoft Windows Vista
    NOTE: This tool is not compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 or ME.

    Description
    Running the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) removes all
    2005, 2006, and 2007 versions of McAfee consumer products.

    Solution
    Download and run the McAfee Removal tool
    NOTE: Always be sure to uninstall your McAfee product through Add/Remove
    Programs, first. The following steps should only be taken if uninstalling
    through Add/Remove Programs has failed.

    1.. Download the removal tool from
    http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.
    2.. Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.
    3.. Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.
    4.. Make sure all McAfee application windows are closed.
    5.. Double-click MCPR.exe and the removal tool will start automatically.
    Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as
    Administrator.
    6.. Once the removal tool is finished, you will be prompted to restart
    your computer. If you choose to restart later, your McAfee product will not
    be fully removed until you do.
    7.. Wait for the computer to restart.

    All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.

    Last Modified: 02/23/07
    Modified by: jag-wcmou

    RJ, Jan 28, 2008
  12. Chuck

    Ben Myers Guest

    And Symantec has a removal tool for its products. After removing either one
    with the removal tool (assuming that it works properly), do the same sort of
    registry cloeanup with CCleaner.

    And, BTW, there is no need for a removal tool for the removal tool!

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 28, 2008
  13. Chuck

    Bruno Guest

    Run msconfig... find the Microsoft program msconfig.exe somewhere
    under your Windows folder.

    Check both the Startup and Services tab. Anything that comes from
    McAfee should be unchecked. What I found is that after removing the
    software, services could still be left.

    Additionally, if you know how to run the Microsoft Console, you can
    set up a Services console and get even more information about each
    service.

    FYI, I did a full check of the startup and services after getting my
    Dell XPS 410 over a year ago (XP). For anything I didn't know I wanted
    to keep, I'd look up what it did and try unchecking it. As long as it
    didn't cause a problem, I left it unchecked. After a year, I have
    almost no problems running windows. It made a big difference.

    Bruno, Jan 28, 2008