Removing plastic shroud from Sapphire 4870?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Gary, Nov 16, 2009.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I've seen mention of this, usually for cleaning purposes or adding a
    different fan.

    In my case though it's primarily to reduce the bulk of the card. Not only
    does the dual size cover a PCIe slot, it also gets uncomfortably close to
    one of the few PCI slots, which I need to use.

    With the PCI card in place, the fan doesn't get a very good airflow, so not
    only does the fan speed increase, but idling temperatures are about 10c
    higher (around 70c) than without the PCI card in position.
    To increase the gap, I'm thinking of removing the shroud, but I'm guessing
    that it's also the housing for the fan, along with directing the airflow out
    the back. Anyone removed the shrouding on this card? Any thoughts?

    The card version is this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-RADEON-HD-4870-Interface/dp/B002GNMRU0/

    TIA,
    Gary

    Gary, Nov 16, 2009

  2. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I actually have the side panel removed. I tried long ago to keep things cool
    without needing this, but it's always cooler with it removed. A tad noisier
    of course, but bearable.

    This image shows the proximity of the shrouding to the PCI slot:
    http://img693.imageshack.us/i/sapphire4870videocard.jpg/

    Obviously with a PCI card in place, the fan intake area is compromised. It's
    a pity I didn't get a version with a rear fan :(

    Gary, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I've opted for my smallest PCI card in that slot, it's a Skystar 2 satellite
    receiver card. Although full height, it's not as long as the other two I
    use, so not quite as 'suffocating'.

    Gary, Nov 17, 2009