Repair permissions locks out my shared folder

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Mark Evans, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Mark Evans

    Mark Evans Guest

    Dear All,

    As stated as good practice in previous posts I run the repair
    permissions after major updates and routinely to keep my Mac in tip-top
    shape. However after running it I cannot gain access to my shared users
    folder as I have in-sufficient permissions. When I check with BATCHMOD
    (a great free utility to manage ownerships an permissions) I find that
    the shared users folder is owned by ROOT and is assigned to the WHEEL
    group with others having no access. I then get BATCHMOD to re-assign to
    group STAFF and everything is then OK.

    Although this is only a minor inconvenience it doesn't seem right that I
    have to do this after running Apples repair permissions utility. I also
    think that less familiar users would be very stuck. Am I using repair
    permissions correctly or is my understanding of what it does incorrect?

    Any pointers greatfully received.

    Cheers,
    Mark,
    Hull UK

    Mark Evans, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Actually they're supposed to be 41777 (drwxrwxrwt), owned by root:wheel.

    It looks like the ownership is coming out correct in this repair (it's
    supposed to be root and wheel, not staff), but for some reason has
    incorrect access set. When repairing permissions, is there anything in
    the log file relating to this folder?

    Tom Harrington, Oct 13, 2004