repeating sound problem...

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by Brin, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Brin

    Brin Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently got a S.B live 5.1 card, Spealers are in the post as I type.
    So at the mo I am still using by 2.1 speakers.

    The problem is this..

    Every few minutes, wether playing an MP3 CD or game the sound repeats
    itself for half a second or so, whatever sound is playing, (This makes a
    loud screeachy sort of noise.)

    I have checed the web site and I seem to have the latest drivers.

    Win XP pro
    1600+ Athlon
    768Mb ram

    Does this sound familier to anyone? (Excuse the pun)

    Thanks for any help.

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Brin

    Brin Guest

    The problem is much less frequent now that I have got the proper 5.1
    speakers....

    Strange!

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Try upgrading yer Via 4-in-1 or Hyperion drivers for the mobo.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Brin

    Brin Guest

    its via 4in1. I will give it a try.
    (I think i have the newest ones though)

    Thanks.

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 15, 2004
  5. Brin

    D.R. Guest

    Same thing. Just renamed to Hyperion. Get them at viaarena.com

    My friend had weird stuff happen with his soundcard when he installed
    DirectX9.0. The sound in games would stutter, big time. It was fixed with
    DirectX9.0b.
    D.R.

    D.R., Sep 15, 2004
  6. Brin

    Brin Guest

    Thanks for the reply, I had the newest drivers from Epox (My mobo maker)
    but I got the newest ones from Viaarena.com.

    The problem still persists :(

    I have just noticed, I have DX9.0a Hmm it has been a while since I
    bought any new games!

    DX upgrade in progress now.

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Brin

    Brin Guest

    ARSE! Just got DX9.0c The problem is still here. When the sound repeats
    the computer freezes for about half a second.

    Does anyone think it would make a differance if I use Windose 2000 pro
    instead of XP? I will keep searching for a few weeks, if I dont find a
    solution I will try 2000.

    Thanks fpr reading

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Brin

    D.R. Guest

    I see you watch "Father Ted"? Or is that a local expression? DRINK!!! :)
    So many factors to take into consideration...

    Could be some resource conflict. Have you tried swapping PCI slots?

    Do you have anything else running in the background, eg Virus Checker?

    Spyware often makes a PC run like crap. You could try downloading Spybot Search
    and Destroy from:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
    Then Install, Update, Immunise, full scan.

    D.R.

    D.R., Sep 18, 2004
  9. Brin

    Brin Guest

    :eek:)Father Ted rules.

    I have swapped PCI slotts, I have also ran Adaware a few days ago, I will
    try spybot as well just to make sure.

    I have Norton internet security, and Antivirus running all the time, I
    have noticed this slows the pc down, I will try disabeling the virus
    checker as well.

    I have seen lots of forums which mention IRQ conflicts, I think I have
    lots of sharing irq's, but I'm unable to change them. On the device
    manager screen there are now exclimation marks or problems reportd.

    (Also the Creative adio HQ self test saya all tests passed sucesfully.)

    I will post again after more tests.

    Thanks again for the reply.

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 18, 2004
  10. Brin

    Brin Guest

    oops, That should say there are no exclimation marks or problems
    reported.

    I have installed updated and ran Spybot, it found a few tracking cookies,
    so nothing that would cause a slow down..

    I have had the virus protection of for a few hours, the problem sseems
    the same, I cant really notice any cause, like disk access or internet
    activity, it will make the noise seemingly at Random.

    (I have had Xnews downloading almost constantly, I will have to wait for
    it to complete before I try more tests)

    Brin, Sep 18, 2004
  11. Brin

    Lenny Guest

    Lots of people are confused on this subject; probably because in the distant
    past before PCI, sharing interrupts was a no-no. The ISA bus couldn't handle
    it; it crashed the computer. PCI is designed to handle this though, so don't
    worry.

    Yes, sometimes buggy cards/drivers screw stuff up, but I haven't heard of a
    card in years and years that did not support sharing. Microsoft WHQL
    certification could of course never be awarded to a driver for a card that
    had problems with IRQ sharing, and as recent MS operating systems includes
    SBLive drivers this is not the case here.

    After all the stuff you seem to have tried, you are coming closer and closer
    to the point where a full OS re-installation will be required. Of course,
    this is a lot of grief if it won't solve your problem, so before going there
    you should try your soundcard in another computer first. Possibly try an
    identical Live in your box too, if it can be arranged.

    Lenny, Sep 18, 2004
  12. Brin

    D.R. Guest

    Yeah Creative Labs cards are naughty when it comes to PCI card design rules.

    D.R., Sep 18, 2004
  13. Brin

    Brin Guest

    Thanks for that Lenny, I wont worry about IRQ's then.

    I have just switched on the PC, disabled the antivirus and then played
    music for over an hour with no problems and no other programs running
    (Besides the fire wall and solatair) When I switched on Xnews I started
    to get the problem, This is pointing me towards some sort of hard drive
    issue (Or possibly power) as I have a SATA 200gig drive and 2 IDE hard
    drives 40 and 20gig. I have also got a 450W power supply I think this is
    enough?.

    All of the programs are on the C drive, but Xnews is on E: I am planning
    to use the SATA drive for the operating system and only use the other
    drives for storage (Im waiting on a DVD wriiter which is in the post as
    well speak.) So I will be able to test the power theory and drives, when
    I backup the important stuff.

    I will leave this problem, for a few weeks, and post a gain if the
    problem persists after the reconfiguration of the drives.

    At least I know I can play stuff without the problem, I just need to
    reboot and ony use the media player.

    Thanks to all who replied.

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 19, 2004
  14. Brin

    Brin Guest

    Thanks D.R.

    See the reply above for my progress!

    I will post in a week or two when I solve the problem (Fingers crossed)

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Brin

    Lenny Guest

    Yeah Creative Labs cards are naughty when it comes to PCI card design
    Yeah, people say that too, personally though I never had a problem with any
    of my creative PCI cards... Not even with the first generation of sblives
    coupled with the documented crappy VIA Apollo MVP chipset.

    If there ever was a problem (and not user error or such), I would expect
    them to be gone now, considering how many revisions the Emu10k1/2 chips have
    gone through. Should be nuttin to worry about. IRQ sharing is NORMAL in a
    PC.

    Lenny, Sep 19, 2004
  16. Brin

    Lenny Guest

    Let's just say IRQs *could* be the reason for your problems, I just don't
    think it's very likely. :) Hardware shares IRQs left and right these days,
    if it was a major problem with that on creative hardware, we'd have millions
    of people complaining about the same issue.
    Have you noticed a lot of stuttering when your harddrive is working? I
    haven't read all of your posts so I don't know if you mentioned that before.
    There's several reasons harddrives (or any device that ties up the CPU for
    too long, but harddrives are probably the most common) can cause stuttering
    in a system.

    The way most modern sound players work is they have some buffer memory that
    they decompress a MP3 or whatever into, then does a function call to
    directsound that makes the soundcard driver tell the soundcard to fetch that
    sound data via PCI busmaster DMA. This all takes place within milliseconds.
    While the soundcard plays the buffer - which is typically a few tenths of a
    second up to a few seconds in length - the player decompresses the next
    chunk of the MP3 into a new buffer, and when the first buffer has been
    finished, the player program calls directsound to play the new buffer
    instead and the process starts all over again.

    NOW, if any step in this process is interrupted for whatever reason, the
    buffer currently playing will start to repeat over and over - sound will
    "stutter". Some reasons for this can be:

    * IDE CDROMs spinning up when accessed - this often locks the IDE interface
    for access for as much as several seconds, so the sound player will starve
    when it can't read more MP3 data.
    * Programs running at high priority for long periods of time (could be
    malware/viruses, but you said you were protected from that), virus software
    that functions poorly *cough*Norton Antivirus*ahem* (try NOD32 instead;
    BLAZING fast, and cheap - Microsoft themselves use this one), system
    processes running amuck - if you have winxp, bring up the process manager
    via the ctrl-alt-del menu and check to see if you have anything that uses a
    great deal of CPU time.
    * Poorly configured hardware. If your IDE interfaces are running in software
    mode (PIO - programmed I/O) rather than DMA mode, your CPU does all the work
    of shuffling data back and forth. This leads to poor disk performance and
    poor system response, especially under load. Do you know how to check for
    this?
    Heh. Oh yeah, it's enough alright. You should see all the crap I power from
    my 250W power supply. :) Within going into too much detail, it's a 1.7 P4
    CPU, 512M RDRAM (runs really hot), all 5 PCI slots filled with 6th PCI
    device integrated on mobo - NIC interface. 2 harddrives + 2 optical drives,
    Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card and about 10 USB devices. :) So 450W should
    last most people quite a while!

    If you're worried about power, just disconnect all harddrives other than the
    one with your windows boot partition on it, but it should either just work
    or not work at all. When running, a typical harddrive only draws about 5-7
    watts of power, and if there's not enough of that, first thing that would
    happen would likely be the CPU crashing. Not sound stuttering. :)

    Lenny, Sep 19, 2004
  17. Brin

    Brin Guest

    Hmmm, stupid computers! So many things to cause problems :eek:)

    This could be the culprit

    I will look out for this as well.
    No serious problems here, (Xnews is using about 150Mb, but I have 786Mb)

    The sound stutter/repeat coincides with the Kernel "spiking" on the
    performance graph.

    Nope, fraid I dont know how to check this, lol, this is turning into a
    dummies guide (I thought DMA only applied to CD Drives) My two IDE drives
    are Very old, one is about 6 years and the other about 4 years, And they
    have been used almost constantly!!
    I thought that a shut down would be more likely if there was a power
    shortage. But hey a 250W! I must be ok then.

    I will try this when I am putting the new DVD writter in, after wireing
    all these speakers around the room it is difficult to get access to the
    pc, I will check the drive thing when I open the box next week.

    Brin

    Brin, Sep 19, 2004