    Will it work? Is there a risk in trying? If so, what?

    Thanks.

    -Dennis

    dk_, Feb 3, 2008

  2. dk_

    BillW50 Guest

    In dk_ typed on Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:27:49 -0800:
    I don't believe so. As I believe the pins are different. Plus most
    laptops the CPU is surfaced mounted anyway. The latter requires someone
    very good at surface mounting soldering. :(

    BillW50, Feb 3, 2008

  3. dk_

    dk_ Guest

    Bill,

    I'm pretty sure that I was able to pull the CPU when I replaced the MB in
    this machine.

    -Dennis

    dk_, Feb 7, 2008
  4. Prior to Pentium 3/Celeron they main have been solder mounted.
    The processor is easily replaceable (Once you get to it that is). A CPU
    upgrade is far more dependent on whether the BIOS for the motherboard
    will support a faster chip.

    G.G. Willikers, Feb 8, 2008
  5. dk_

    dk_ Guest

    I think that I was able to just pull the celeron CPU out when I swapped the
    motherboard (PC card stopped working).

    What about the possibility of a heating problem going for the Celeron 500
    MHz to a PIII 700 MHz?

    Thanks.

    -Dennis

    dk_, Feb 8, 2008