Replace or not to replace? GA-7VTXE+

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by David Burnsed, May 3, 2005.

  1. I've started having problems keeping my computer running. Sometimes while on
    the internet or playing games - doesn't really seem to matter,I get either
    booted back to the desktop or the computer reboots and then says windows has
    recovered from a serious error. When it gives me a link to the Microsoft
    Crash Analysis site it almost always says an unknown driver caused the
    problem. Just recently it said there was a CPU hardware error. I've updated
    video, audio, and board drivers but it's still the same. There does look
    like there has been some swelling of the capacitors around the CPU, but most
    times everything works fine. This system is about 3 years, old from the time
    I purchased it refurbished from Tiger Direct, so yes it is out of warranty.
    The main problem I have with replacing the motherboard is not the task
    itself but having the XP reinstall disks that came with my computer not
    recognize the new motherboard as the same system. I've looked around a
    little at some replacements but have become more confused than anything
    else.

    Would replacing this board solve anything or should I look elsewhere for a
    solution?

    If I should replace the motherboard should I try to get an identical one and
    what steps should I take to make sure everything is compatible.

    David

    David Burnsed, May 3, 2005

  2. David Burnsed

    Anonymoose Guest

    I had the same problem with my old 7VTXH+. I managed to find several on ebay
    and bought one. swapped it out and its still running today on the same
    windows install too. you may want to replace that board before the swollen
    caps cause other, possible permanent problems. I found one on ebay for you
    incase you're interested. better hurry, only about 1 hr left on it.
    http://tinyurl.com/8h698
    Chances are, however, if you do get an entirely different board you will not
    be able to boot into windows xp successfully. good luck and hope this
    helped.

    Anonymoose, May 4, 2005

  3. David Burnsed

    Davy Guest

    I think (don't take me as CERTAIN) all you need to do is to copy the
    i386 files.

    see following

    http;//support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    I seem to think its the first one you come to, it was somewhere round
    there I was reading about doing a re-install without the windows disc
    and involves copying some files.

    Maybe you have looked already - thought Id mention it just incase.

    Cheers from Davy

    Davy, May 9, 2005
  4. David Burnsed

    Davy Guest

    Davy again,

    Sorry forgot to mention, somewhere in there is a mention on a
    microsoft fix as its a known problem with some graphic cards.

    Davy, May 9, 2005
  5. David Burnsed

    Davy Guest

    Just read about swelling of the capacitors (caps in trade) think best
    bet is a new mobo becoz when caps swell you can bet gas as been
    generated. good capacitor's will have pure capacitance, but as it
    ages it dries out and becomes less effective as a capacitor due to
    the increase in 'series resistance' as this ESR rises, the capacitor
    looses its abilitiy to handle the HF pulses and generates heat which
    in turn generates gas thus the expansion, modern ones usually have
    vent's in to stop explosion and are rated at 105 degree C (some new
    ones are rated at 125 degree C) - not that they reach these
    temperatures, just the maximum environment they can cope with.

    Low ESR caps handles the high frequency pulses better than normal
    types.

    I'll try to explain,
    For example a normal transformer power supply would rectify and
    smooth at 50/60Hz and use normal capacitors (standard 85 degree C
    types) and indeed all components would need to be large.

    A switch mode power supply normally rectifies at about 18KHz Low ESR
    caps would smooth the HF ripples better than standard ones.

    A switch-mode supply is a lot more efficient and indeed a lot less
    smaller becoz they don't use a whopping big transformer, imagine the
    size of a 50/60Hz transformer and the size of components to supply
    your 3.3V @ 20 amps or so for your cpu and RAMs (amongs other
    voltages required).

    The reason for this comparison is becoz computers runs on HF pulses

    I very much doubt you will improve matters only by a mobo change, if
    you retain your HDD you SHOULD be able to remove old drivers after a
    mobo change and install new ones.

    I would imagine the problem you are having would get worse over time
    due to the caps, also I did not mention (which could be even more
    serious) when capacitors expand, they leak electrolyte and if this
    gets onto the copper tracks it could either become 'leaky' ie act as
    resistances or even corrode the tracks - so take a close look around
    the base of the caps, sometimes you can smell the stuff

    Sorry for not reading the thread properly - my fault maybe third time
    lucky.

    Davy, May 9, 2005