    ED Guest

    For drives compatible with your particular model, you can use this guide:
    http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi/s...ems&kind=hpl&pos=0&type=itemid&itemid=hpl2186

    ED, Mar 17, 2011

  2. ED

    N.Morrow Guest

    Has anyone had success in replacing a SATA 1.0 drive with a SATA 2.0 drive?
    I want to upgrade the drive in my HP DV1738OD laptop and the best deals and
    selection out there are for the SATA 2.0 drives. I read about some drives
    with a jumper that restricts transfer to 1.5Gb/s, but the drives I'm looking
    at don't seem to have it.

    N.Morrow

    N.Morrow, Mar 17, 2011

  3. ED

    Bob Villa Guest

    From what I know (limited) they are backward compatible and use no
    jumpers (normally). So, if it fits...it should work.

    Bob Villa, Mar 17, 2011
  4. ED

    BillW50 Guest

    A few SATA 1.0 disk controllers can't handle SATA 2.0 drives without the
    jumper. Some know better and they don't care if the jumper is there or
    not. And a few SATA 1.0 disk controllers can't work with SATA 2.0 drives
    with or without a jumper.

    Yes I know, three possibilities. So you will probably ask will it work
    on yours? I can't say with any certainty, but I haven't heard of any
    problems with those that use Intel GMA 900 yet. Although I hear tell
    that SATA 3.0 drives won't work with them. So it does sound promising
    for SATA 2.0, but don't hold me to it.

    BillW50, Mar 17, 2011
  5. If all else fails, you can buy a SATAII PCI card.

    Marc Auslander, Mar 17, 2011
  6. ED

    ED Guest

    For a laptop??

    ED, Mar 18, 2011
  7. Guess I didn't read carefully enough. Sorry about that.

    Marc Auslander, Mar 20, 2011
  8. ED

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, you sign your real name to this stuff? ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Mar 25, 2011