Replace XPPRO for new Asus laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by David L, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. David L

    David L Guest

    I have an unactivated Asus laptop that I am thinking of replacing with
    an older Microsoft OS, so the XPPro can be activated on desktop
    instead. I do this because desktop has better expansion (e.g.
    harddisk) possibilities at reasonable costs.

    My questions are:
    1) has anyone tried swapping the unactivated XP to be used and
    activated on a desktop instead? I have been told some OEM XPPRO are
    tied to the laptop, and want to see whether the Asus product is free
    of this constraint.
    2) If the XP Pro can be used on a desktop and activated that way,
    where in the Asus site do I get the right laptop drivers? I have
    missed that somehow.
    3) My laptop model does not come with bootable floppy. Instead it has
    a DVD reader. For safety reasons I feel more comfortable with a
    bootable "rescue" disk of some sort. Has anyone tried USB flash drive?
    or somehow boot from the DVD drive, or external firewire disk as boot
    device.

    I would most welcome information from people who has done this type of
    work for Asus L4 laptop (Celeron), but other valuable comments are
    welcome as well.

    Thanks
    David

    David L, Jul 17, 2003