    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    Timo

    Timo Lamm, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Timo Lamm

    MrGrumpy Guest

    You have checked the new hd using Maxtor disk utility?

    MrGrumpy, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Timo Lamm

    Mercury Guest

    This is where raid vendors need to splash out on some diagnostic s/w.
    I suggest a google on raid 1 failures, but at the end of the day you can:
    - guess based on google results,
    - backup the files and rebuild the raid from scratch starting with a new
    raid volume,
    - hassle the vendor.

    I would do all 3 and work on #2 pending results of #3.

    This makes borked raid 1 #4 in 2 weeks.

    Mercury, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Timo Lamm

    MrGrumpy Guest

    You should be aware that a raid built with a specific manu.controler is
    specific to that controler.
    ie another manu raid controler may not even see the raid, if it does data
    corruption / loss may result. Nore is it likely anothers raid diagnostics
    software will diagnose any other than their own controllers raid

    MrGrumpy, Apr 16, 2005
  5. Timo Lamm

    Mercury Guest

    I am more than aware of this - there needs to be industry standardisation on
    the storage / format of raid meta data with the objective that the drives
    and raid configs become h/w vendor independant.
    EG pull out a raid array from one manufacturers controller and plug itinto
    anothers and have it work 100% - so long as the two controller implement the
    same raid type and options.

    The issues that seem to be arising are where a drive in a mirror fails, but
    the 'good' drive that is left is not in fact good. An IBM OEM Adaptec
    contoller failure recently complained of this and the solution provided by
    IBM was a file level backup restore. I have also read 3 other failures that
    sound quite similar, although the controllers offer no evidence. The
    manifestation is failure to recreate the RAID 1 after some % of processing.

    A good volume in a raid should be able to be scanned and volume format
    errors corrected - meta data that is used by the controller being optionally
    corrected. A bit like a chkdsk /f.

    Obviously, every manufacturers controller diagnostics will be controller
    specific. More info is needed.

    Mercury, Apr 17, 2005
  6. Timo Lamm

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Well, I've been able to recover a failed disk in a software RAID 1
    array under Linux, but I've yet to be able to recover a failed disk in
    an onboard RAID 1 array under WinXP. You don't always get what you
    pay for!!

    Ronald Cole, Apr 25, 2005