Replacement HD - Interface question

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Ken Spencer, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. Ken Spencer

    Ken Spencer Guest

    I am going to replace the HD in my ThinkPad T-40. Went to newegg and
    they have two different Western Digital 60 GB Scorpio drives. One
    says it's ATA-6, and the other says it's IDE Ultra ATA 100. They are
    two separate drives - the ATA-6 one has a 2 MB cache, and the IDE has
    an 8 MB cache.

    I went to Wikipedia to look at the differences with the interfaces, and
    it *appears* that the two
    interfaces are the same... It is that true?

    ATA/ATAPI-6
    ATA-6, Ultra ATA/100
    UDMA 5 (100)
    AKA Ultra DMA 100
    144 PB
    48-bit LBA, Device Configuration Overlay (DCO),
    Automatic Acoustic Management

    Does is matter which drive I use for the replacement? I would prefer
    the one with the 8 MB cache, naturally.

    The original IBM Hitachi drive just says IDE/ATA on it.

    Thanks for any help with this.

    Ken
    --
    To reply with email, please remove "ECM" from email address.

    Ken Spencer, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Ken Spencer

    ken10254 Guest

    They are the same, except for the cache and you want the 8 mg cache.
    More importantly, you want at least 5400 rpm drive speed, not the older
    4200. If your model has 5400 rpm, you're good to go.
    Ken

    ken10254, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Ken Spencer

    Ken Spencer Guest

    Ken:

    MANY THANKS!

    Ken Spencer

    Ken Spencer, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Ken Spencer

    Kevin Weaver Guest

    Remember that the faster the rpm for the drive, less battery time.
    I upgraded to a 7200 from a 5400 and it was approx 30% less battery
    time. If battery life is Important, Stick with a 4200 rpm drive.

    Kevin Weaver, Jan 6, 2007
  5. That is not universally true. There are 7200 rpm drives that use less
    than some 5400 rpm drives. Although the average 7200 rpm drive probably
    uses more power than the average 5400 rpm drive, because the range for
    both types of drives is so large, you can't generalize on power
    consumption or heat, you can only compare two specific drives.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 6, 2007