Replacing 8300 PSU with standard ATX PSU??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dennis Demont, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    The power supply unit in my Dell Dimension 8300 is dying. Every 9 out of 10
    times, the machine won't start at all when I press the power button. I can
    hear the fans for about half a second, then the whole thing just dies.

    I have swapped the PSU with another Dell 250W PSU and then the system works
    like a charm.

    So, I guess I need a new PSU. Do I have to order one from Dell or can I just
    get a standard ATX one? (like an Enermax with a little bit more power for
    instance)
    I have heard that some Dell PSU's are wired differently, but that the 8300
    can take a normally wired PSU. Is this true?

    I could call Dell Tech Support, but after my experiences with them about a
    year ago, I'm afraid they'll say it's impossible to install a different
    brand, just so they can sell me one of their own units.

    Has anyone done this before? If so, what brand of PSU did you use?

    Thanks,

    Dennis

    Dennis Demont, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Dennis Demont

    Pen Guest

    Pen, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Dennis Demont, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Dennis Demont

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't know the answer, but the Dell power supplies are cheap and
    underrated (more than 250W), so I'd go that route.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Yeah, I know, but this is the second one dying on me in 1,5 years. So I'd
    like to try something else for a change, if possible. And it seems to be
    possible as for the wiring, however I see that most new power supplies come
    with a main switch on the rear for which the Dell case has no hole. And I
    don't fancy drilling an extra hole in the case.

    Ah well, I'll just think about it some more, maybe go with Dell after
    all....

    Thanks,

    Dennis

    Dennis Demont, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Dennis Demont

    Tom Scales Guest

    If you've lost two in two years, I'd begin to suspect the quality of the
    power. Do you run it through a UPS or at least a good surge protector?

    Tom Scales, Jan 6, 2005
  7. I'm currently using a surge protector.
    It's only happening to this Dimension system, I've got another custom built
    system which has not given me any power troubles so far.

    Today I have been to all shops in this region, and none of them have a PSU
    without a mains switch on the back panel. I've tried an AOpen PSU but it
    wouldn't fit because of that mains switch. One of the other stores had a
    no-name PSU but that one was DOA, 11V on the 12V rail :)

    I think this will lead to calling Dell Support after all.

    Thanks,

    Dennis

    Dennis Demont, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Dennis Demont

    Craig Guest

    Try here http://store.yahoo.com/impactcomputersmiami/m0148.html or Dell.

    Craig

    Craig, Jan 8, 2005
  9. Dennis Demont

    w_tom Guest

    Unfortunately, an adjacent surge protector provided nothing
    useful (but does enrich its manufacturer). If those $0.10
    parts inside the plug-in protector were so effective, then
    they would be inside all power supplies. Power supplies
    contain (as even required by industry standards) protection
    that can work adjacent to appliance. So that such protection
    is not overwhelmed, we must install a 'whole house' protectors
    with the all so necessary 'less than 10 foot' connection to
    earth ground. The 'whole house' protector would cost maybe
    less than $1 per protected appliance. How much for the
    plug-in protector that is not even effective?

    Those who recommend plug-in surge protectors or UPSes don't
    know what those devices really accomplish or how they work.
    IOW they assume surge protector = surge protection. Reality:
    protector and protection are two different devices. An
    effective protector connects 'less than 10 feet' to the
    protection.

    Why are power supplies failing? Best evidence is inside the
    dead body. That assumes the PSU has really died. The power
    supply 'system' is composed of three 'system' components.
    Which one is defective? A replaced power supply could (for
    example) mask a defective power supply controller. Better is
    but a few minutes to first learn what has failed before wildly
    replacing anything. Previously posted are "Computer doesnt
    start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
    "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
    Feb 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9
    Better to locate a problem before 'fixing' anything. Just
    because the second power supply temporarily solved a problem
    does not say power supplies are the problem.

    But moreso, a surge protector recommendation could even
    contribute to future computer damage. The recommendation is
    based mostly upon word association rather than science. Based
    upon a false assumptions that surge protector and surge
    protection are same.

    w_tom, Jan 8, 2005
  10. Dennis Demont, Jan 8, 2005