Replacing A Failed RAID 1 Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kurt R. Todoroff, May 15, 2007.

  1. I'm running Windows 2000 Server. The boot drive, C:, consists of a pair
    of 20GB hard drives in a RAID 1 mirror.

    Disk 0 failed last week, preventing the server from booting. I
    reconfigured the HDD jumpers so that Disk 1 became Disk 0 and vice
    versa. I restarted the server successfully. I tried to reactivate and
    resynchronize the failed drive, unsuccessfully. I purchase a pair of
    Western Digital WD1600JB 160GB drives and plan to replace both 20s with
    the 160s.

    I've searched everywhere for procedures, but I find conflicting
    information. A lot of the information suggests that if I replace the
    failed 20 with one of the new 160s and then resynchronize it to the 20,
    it will only have a capacity of 20. This is not acceptable since I plan
    to use the full 160GB capacity.

    Can anyone direct me to some sound procedures for replacing the two
    mirrored 20s with the new 160s in a mirror configuration?

    I had considered just breaking the mirror,

    then replacing the failed 20 with a new 160
    and assigning it a new drive letter,

    then using Norton Ghost to clone the good
    20 to the new 160,

    then remove the good 20 and replace it with
    the newly cloned 160 which is now C:,

    then install the other 160,

    then restart and tell Windows 2000 Server to
    create a mirror using these two drives.

    However, I don't think that it's this simple.

    Symantec's website states that Ghost 10.0 will not work with Windows
    2000 Server, only 2000. I'm wondering if it will work if I boot from
    the Ghost 10.0 CD-ROM, so that I can clone the good 20 to the new 160.

    Thank you.

    --

    Kurt Todoroff

    Markets, not mandates and mob rule.