Replacing hard drive and getting "NTLDR missing" message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeff Lucas, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Jeff Lucas

    Jeff Lucas Guest

    The hard drive in my Dell Optiplex died, and I am trying to replace it
    with an existing hard drive from an older HP computer. The Dell came
    with Win 2000 preinstalled. The HP hard drive has Win XP installed.
    When I placed the Win XP hard drive in the Dell, I got a "NTLDR
    missing" message at boot up. I've searced Google's message boards and
    seen that this is not a rare problem, but so far I've not found a
    solution that works. I've tried doing the following (from Microsoft's
    Web site):

    1. Restart the computer by using a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows
    Me startup disk that contains the Sys.com file (this file is included
    by default).
    2. Make a backup copy of the msdos.sys file in the root directory of
    your system drive. To do this, type the following commands from the
    command prompt:
    attrib -h -r -s c:\msdos.sys
    rename msdos.sys *.ysy
    3. At a command prompt, type sys c:. This command rewrites the Windows
    95, Windows 98, or Windows Me boot code with accurate BPB information.
    If this command runs successfully, skip to step 4.

    This hasn't worked, so I'm thinking I'm going in the wrong direction.
    Any suggestions?

    Jeff Lucas, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Jeff Lucas

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Jeff Lucas

    Marc Reinig Guest

    Your sequence will work for making a boot disk for ME and below. However,
    NTLDR is required for NT, 2K, XP ... Try the following

    Get your XP or 2K disks and do an install over you current Windows driver.
    Choose the repair install option (not the repair console). That might make
    it bootable again, can't remember exactly.

    Marc Reinig
    System Solutions

    Marc Reinig, Feb 9, 2004