Replacing MS-6340 mainboard

Discussion in 'MSI' started by mainman, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. mainman

    mainman Guest

    I am running Win XP Pro.

    I want to replace my broken Microstar MS-6340 mainboard.

    If I can not get a old 6340 to install, then I will have to use another
    mainboard.

    Is there another Microstar mainboard which I can install which does not
    need me to load drivers, re-register WinXP, change memory and all that
    stuff?

    QUESTION ONE. I was thinking of something like the MS-6378. Would that be
    a "clean" direct replacement for the 6340 that needs very little
    configuring or installation of drivers?

    QUESTION TWO. Could I use a more modern board like the Microstar KM2M
    Combo (MS-6738) without having to do much configuring?

    Thanks,
    Mainman

    MS-6378 is at <http://snipurl.com/41ik>
    KM2M is at <http://snipurl.com/41im>

    mainman, Jan 24, 2004

  2. mainman

    JD Ross Guest

    The more up2date m/b is the less you'll have problem with
    configuration. I'm runing an older MSI m/b 6178 - and I
    change it a few times with Assus m/b and all the time
    everything went more or less well.

    There is no reason why you should not go for the latest
    model / version of mother board.

    I have noticed that on some occasion when I swap the HD
    with win XP I didn't have even to reregister / activate winXP.
    However, depending on your configuration you might have
    to reinstall drivers, as they might be different for a new
    m/b, (chipset or so...) But don't be put off by this
    problem. Have ready MS Windows XP Setup floppies ready
    just in case if you have to repair previous installation.
    Back up your data and just proceed with swapping of the m/b.

    There is one practical point. When swapping the m/b
    some people ( I do) do not connect all the peripherals
    at once for the first time to go. I usually attach first
    CDROM and C:\ HDrive, then whatever you have.

    If you have internet connection ( cable) then it might be
    very useful to have it connected as Windows might be
    looking for the newest drivers update from the internet.

    Jdr

    JD Ross, Feb 8, 2004