    Would like to hear your experience regarding this matter.
    Thanks in advance!
    Roy

    Roy, Apr 26, 2009

  2. Roy

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Roy typed on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 05:43:43 -0700 (PDT):
    Hi Roy. Well Barry will say you will be just fine. Although others have
    reported more vibrations (noise), warmer laptop temperatures, and/or
    higher power supply demands.

    BillW50, Apr 26, 2009

  3. Roy

    Jarod Guest

    Yes, of course. The 5400 rpm harddisk is one of the main bottlenecks in
    todays notebooks.
    Dunno. You have not mentioned what notebook you're talking about.
    Why should they? It could maybe happen that battery lifetime will be a
    little bit reduced with the new 7200.
    My notebooks (IBM, Lenovo) run exclusively on 7200 rpm disks, without any
    problems.

    Jarod, Apr 26, 2009
  4. The only potential issue is heat and power consumption (which are really
    the same thing). Compare the power used by the current drive with the
    power used by the replacement you are considering. Even if it's higher,
    it is very unlikely to be a problem (unlikely, but not impossible).

    Barry Watzman, Apr 26, 2009
  5. Barry will say that power (and therefore heat) is a POSSIBLE issue,
    depending on the specific drive being considered.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 26, 2009
  6. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Hmm...
    This kinda confusing sometimes....As there are laptop companies that
    instead of upgrading to 7200rpm drives are going to 4200 rpm(IIRC) in
    their new units,.... and to add to the confusion, those are high end
    notebooks for multimedia( including blu ray recording), .....What
    would that units benefit from a slower drive when the faster speed
    should be the norm?

    Anyway mine has no battery anymore so its directly tapping the AC
    current by its huge adapter( is rated at 19.5 V).
    Well one of mine is a Sony , my favorite and have been using this for
    4 years but as the C drive space gets really crowded now that there
    is no more legroom for more wares and MSsoftware upgrade hence, I need
    a really bigger space.
    I have thought of another option to repartition it
    Someone in another group recommended that I using Easus partition
    master, but having no experience on that I am not confident that it
    would work well......

    Roy, Apr 26, 2009
  7. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Thanks Bill! Being thinking on that matter also , got kinda worried
    that it might accelerate depreciation of this unit...due to more
    stress to the motherboard and others...?

    Roy, Apr 26, 2009
  8. Roy

    Pete D Guest

    Seagate also have a 500Gb 7,200RPM drive that they say uses only a very
    small amount of power more and only a little more heat.

    Pete D, Apr 26, 2009
  9. The only POTENTIAL issue is heat, which is a direct function of power
    consumption. However, not all 7,200 rpm drives actually use more power
    than all 5,400 rpm drives .... some use LESS (and will run cooler). You
    need to compare specific drives and not talk in generalities, as all
    7,200 rpm drives (and, also, not all 5,400 rpm drives) are created
    equal. Newer drives (more likely to be 7,200 rpm) have higher density
    per platter (and, therefore fewer platters (mass to turn) and heads
    (drag on the platters)). Also, newer drives have fluid bearings vs.
    older, higher friction and noisier bearings. And better electronics
    made with smaller fabrication geometries. All of these offset the fact
    that, other things being equal, turning the platters faster would
    require more power and generate more heat (true, in and of itself, BUT
    .... other things are NOT equal, or at least are not necessarily equal.
    Which is why I keep harping on the fact that you have to compare
    specific drives and not generalize about "7,200 rpm" drives and "5,400
    rpm" drives). Lots of 7,200 rpm drives use LESS power than some older
    5,400 rpm drives.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 26, 2009
  10. Roy

    BillW50 Guest

    In Barry Watzman typed on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:57:39 -0400:
    What Barry says is true. But remember, it is a *maybe*.

    BillW50, Apr 27, 2009
  11. Roy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, I wish that they made it with an IDE interface. :-( As I only use
    Seagate I'm limited to a 160GB drive (Momentus 5400.3) in this R51 ThinkPad.
    However, on the bright side, it does have an IPS 'Flexview' 15" 1400x1050
    panel which is most excellent. :)

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2009
  12. Roy

    Pete D Guest

    When I swapped out my original for the 320Gb the 500Gb was not available
    damnitttttttt!!!!

    Pete D, Apr 27, 2009