    all that space ? or is there a limit on the disk size on this notebook ?

    (I've updated the BIOS to the latest version v8.0)

    Thanks in advance

    no, Oct 3, 2003

  2. no

    Dusty Guest

    I have installed 20gb drives in 2250XCDS models.. you should make sure they
    are 9mm or 12mm.. i believe they are 9mm... but yes I'm certain you can
    install one on your model... search eBay for HD prices.. also check out
    www.impactcomputers.com

    Dusty, Oct 4, 2003

  3. no

    no Guest

    Great news !

    One more question, does the rpm matter ? my current drive runs at 4200
    rpm, and i've seen drives that runs at 5400 rpm, can I put one of this ?
    but I guess there may be problems of noise and/or overheat/reliability so
    i think i'll go a 4200rpm drive...

    Thanks a lot.

    no, Oct 4, 2003
  4. no

    Dusty Guest

    You should be able to use a 5400rpm drive if you want.. but on older models
    i'm not sure how much more you could benefit from a 5400rpm than a 4200rpm..
    maybe someone else could tell you more about that. But I'd just stick to
    4200rpm.

    Dusty, Oct 4, 2003
  5. no

    David B. Guest

    Despite what Dusty tells you, that machine likely has an 8GB drive limit on it. You MAY be able to install a 40GB and use drive
    overlay software to make it work, or you may install it and it won't boot to any device at all, only way to tell is to try.

    David B., Oct 4, 2003
  6. no

    no Guest

    It worked ! :)

    Yesterday I went to town and bought a 40GB/4200rpm Hitachi drive.

    Here are the results for the BIOS part :
    - the BIOS only see the first 8GB, but that's not really a problem

    For the Windows part :
    - I booted with the Toshiba restoration CD and it created 4 x 2GB
    partitions, and installed Windows on the first one.
    - Then I converted the main partition to FAT32 in order to resize it to 6GB,
    and remove the other DOS partitions.

    For the Linux part :
    - Before installing Windows, I backed up my Linux partitions from the
    old drive to an external USB hard disk drive (using a simple cp -aRv)
    - Removed the old disk and mounted the new one
    - Then I installed the windows stuff (see below)
    - Then booted a linux CD in rescue mode, used fdisk to create the same
    layout as in the old drive but with more space, taking care to put the
    /boot partition beneath 8GB (not sure if GRUB depend on the BIOS to
    access the drives, so, just in case, I kept it beneath)
    - Copied back my files from external drive into the partitions
    - Booted on a grub floppy disk, and typed (the number 4 is for my /boot
    partition /dev/hda5) :
    - Rebooted and got the grub menu with all my kernels and successfully got
    into my system exactly like I left it on the old drive :)

    Thanks again guys for your advices !

    no, Oct 7, 2003