    the wlan. Is it as easy as opening up the laptop, removing the 2200BG, inserting something else (that supports channels 1-14 instead of 1-11) and install new drivers?

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, May 10, 2006

  2. Evert

    old man Guest

    Its probably built in to the mobo it handles Modem/Fax/Lan/WLan
    Presumably youve checked for updated drivers from asus?

    his W1Vc laptop. Is it possible/easy to modify this? I'm assuming the
    laptop contains a mini-PCI card somewhere that handles

    old man, May 10, 2006

  3. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Hmm, I don't see how a software update can turn 1 hardware product into
    another one... ;-)

    See
    ftp://download.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/sb/2200bgprodbrief.pdf

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, May 10, 2006
  4. Evert

    old man Guest

    Obviously; I made the mistake of 'not being happy' as to mean there was a
    performance or other issue.
    'mini pci card'? get real

    old man, May 11, 2006
  5. Evert

    Paul Guest

    on his W1Vc laptop. Is it possible/easy to modify this? I'm assuming the
    laptop contains a mini-PCI card somewhere that handles
    inserting something else (that supports channels 1-14 instead of 1-11) and
    install new drivers?
    There is a PC card slot on that machine. Maybe that will give you room
    for a replacement piece of hardware. Just disable the 2200BG in
    software (remove the driver), and use your replacement hardware
    in its place.

    http://www.w-linx.com.tw/products/wireless/wb1k5_2k.htm

    Paul

    Paul, May 11, 2006
  6. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Evert, May 11, 2006
  7. Evert

    old man Guest

    Sorry, was aggravated by something else
    If you look at asus site you will see that Modem/Fax/Lan/WLan, combined, is
    provided by the adapter/onboard chipset, there is no mention of a mini pci
    card, if there was one fitted, as per IBM link, it would likely be
    accessible via a flap on the underside of the Laptop.
    The Intel220BG is only a WLan card, whereas the Asus 'chipset' supplies 3
    other protocols.
    You could, as other poster suggested, providing the laptop has a spare slot,
    purchase a wlan card and disable onboard wlan.

    old man, May 11, 2006
  8. Evert

    Paul Guest

    The PC Card slot is on the left hand side of the machine.
    At least according to the manual. Page 51 of the manual,
    shows two solutions for wireless LAN.

    http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/W1V/e2083_w1v_hw.pdf

    And the TV tuner inside the notebook, is some kind of PCI
    device. The wireless LAN description doesn't make mention
    of a form factor.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=565&l1=5&l2=22&l3=123

    Paul

    Paul, May 11, 2006
  9. Evert

    Venom Guest

    Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000Mb
    Integrated 802.11bg Wireless
    Integrated Bluetooth

    Venom, May 11, 2006
  10. Evert

    Evert Guest

    Sounds like my best option is to convince my friend to trust me with
    his laptop and a screwdriver and do some 'exploratory surgery'... ;-)

    Regards,
    Evert

    Evert, May 11, 2006
  11. Evert

    Paul Guest

    To qualify for the Intel Centrino trademark, the LAN must be
    integrated. I doubt Intel would approve if the WLan was on a
    PCI card.

    http://www.intel.com/intelinside/weblinks/english/cmt.htm

    Paul

    Paul, May 13, 2006
  12. Most Centrino laptops have the WLAN on a Mini-PCI card. I think it's
    fairly rare for it to be integrated directly onto the board these days.
    Centrino only requires the laptop include the Intel PRO/Wireless adapter.

    Certainly my Compaq X1050 is a Centrino and has it on a Mini-PCI card.
    The newer BIOS revisions do prevent the system from booting if a
    non-"approved" device or subsystem/subvendor ID is on the card, however.

    Robert Hancock, May 14, 2006
  13. Evert

    Paul Guest

    Well, now the OP owes us some pictures when he gets that thing open :)

    That is a pretty dirty trick. Imagine you just put a different
    card in your X1050, finished putting all the screws back in,
    only to find the machine doesn't boot. Mean bastards...

    I just tried an image search on "centrino", and I see the promotional
    pictures show a mini PCI card. That seems a strange way to lock people
    into the "Centrino" solution. Soldering the Wlan function to
    the motherboard makes a lot more sense. Unless the Intel Wlan
    chips aren't flexible enough to support operation in all
    areas of the world, without a chip change ?

    http://journal.mycom.co.jp/special/2003/centrino/images/01al.jpg
    http://www.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2003/03/centrino-chips.jpg
    http://notebook.cz/clanky/technologie/2005/new-centrino-sonoma/intel-centrino-sonoma.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2006
  14. Evert

    Venom Guest

    I could be missing something here but the way I would approach the lancard
    thing would be to disable the onboard one and just plug a usb lan adapter
    in.
    Bugger it, I might even go the whole hog and plug a usb wireless device in.

    Venom, May 15, 2006
  15. I ran into this upgrading my machine's wireless card from a PRO/Wireless
    2100 (802.11b only) to a 2200 (802.11b/g). The newer BIOS versions will
    accept both cards but only if the subsystem/subvendor IDs match the
    "approved" HP models. Fortunately, if you go back to an old BIOS, you
    can install a generic 2200 card, use Linux tools to edit the card's
    EEPROM to modify the IDs to match the HP one, and then update the BIOS
    again.
    That may be the case - although it may have as much to do with adding
    more modularity such as being able to replace a faulty WLAN card
    separately from the board or allowing design changes (like the 2100 to
    2200 upgrade) without needing to modify the motherboard.

    Robert Hancock, May 17, 2006