    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Feb 28, 2011

  2. Ryan P.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You don't have to look far, one of my other replies gave you the link.
    A new laptop will play it better.

    ~misfit~, Feb 28, 2011

  3. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    I can get by on another laptop for a couple weeks. My main concern is
    that the original motherboard that I replaced two years ago is long
    gone. Didn't see any reason to save it.

    I think I can get in under the "intermittent video problems" clause.

    We'll see what happens...

    Ryan P., Mar 1, 2011
  4. Ryan P.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Heh! I never get rid of things similar to what I'm still running, no matter
    how stuffed. You never know what might be needed in the way of donor parts /
    components.
    I hope so.
    Good luck.

    ~misfit~, Mar 2, 2011
  5. Ryan P.

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Hey Ryan. Just curious if it is still working?

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2011
  6. Ryan P.

    Bob Villa Guest

    Too much coffee, Bill? Why don't you email him instead of looking
    pathetic?

    Bob Villa, Mar 19, 2011
  7. Ryan P.

    BillW50 Guest

    Nothing pathetic about it. Some of us were chatting in the hardware
    newsgroup that we have heard stories of people baking their GPU to
    repair them and having success right afterwords. But nobody has ever
    heard how long the repair lasts for. Because nobody heard what happens
    later. Luckily, we have Ryan here who has done it and curious people
    would like to know. And emailing would benefit nobody else.

    As for pathetic, I see you just can't help yourself by making an ass out
    of yourself and always looking to pick a fight with somebody. Sorry to
    disappoint you, but I am not interested in playing your little games.

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2011
  8. Ryan P.

    Bob Villa Guest

    It's too bad your life only exists on the internet...many would say
    that is pathetic.

    Bob Villa, Mar 19, 2011
  9. Ryan P.

    BillW50 Guest

    Only? Hardly. Too busy to be here all of the time. Sometimes it take me
    3 to 7 days just to reply back (like Russel May's in the Dell
    newsgroup). But I noticed that you are here always like clockwork.

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2011
  10. Ryan P.

    Ryan P. Guest

    Hi Bill,

    Everything is still working. I haven't noticed any side effects other
    than occasionally I lose my DVD-ROM... but I'm not sure if that's
    because I damaged the controller, because I didn't completely connect a
    cable, or if its just a driver problem. Either way, a reboot fixes it
    every time (I notice the DVD-ROM is "missing" about once a week.

    The only thing that I've changed my behavior on is I haven't played Half
    Life on the laptop since. I just haven't had a chance to monitor the
    temps under load to be sure its safe yet!

    Ryan P., Mar 19, 2011
  11. Ryan P.

    BillW50 Guest

    Thanks for the update Ryan! And don't be afraid to keep us posted of any
    changes. And don't rule out thet the DVD just might be failing. Luckily
    most slimline drives usually works in most laptops and are usually found
    new for $20 to $30 on eBay.

    BillW50, Mar 19, 2011