    programmable?

    if not, is there any other good candidate for a sacrifice to this
    task?

    Arthur Wouk, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Arthur Wouk

    Glenn Guest

    That key is programmable to emit a single keycode (as defined in
    /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h), not a string. For instance:

    /usr/openwin/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = currency'

    You would then have to set up some kind of macro in your mail reader
    to translate this symbol (ยค in this example) into whatever string
    does your desired task. For greatest convenience, set up the keyboard
    mapping so it is executed on every login (CDE in this example):

    % cat ~/.dt/sessions/sessionetc
    #!/bin/sh
    XDIR=/usr/openwin/bin
    # Make the blank key next to the Help key on a Sun Type 5 UNIX
    # keyboard emit something useful and unique that we can refer to
    # in applications like FrameMaker.
    $XDIR/xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = blank'

    Glenn, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Just be aware that if you're using something with a Type 6 USB US/Unix
    keyboard, the blank key is indistinguishable from the Props key. AFAIK,
    that's a hardware limitation.

    Richard L. Hamilton, Oct 24, 2005