    install windows 2 k pro, or windows xp

    What is the best shot that i could do?

    Thanks

    Jaguar, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Jaguar

    HH Guest

    No real way to tell without knowing which Compaq computer you are referring
    to.
    HH

    HH, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Jaguar

    David Guest

    As well as use of computer once installed. Version of XP , Specs of
    computer would be nice too.

    David, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Jaguar

    the yeti Guest

    Windows 2000. It uses less processor, less memory, is more eaisally
    configurable and does not have that stupid teletubbies GUI. Less
    built in Spyware too. No stupid balloon tips either.

    Example:
    Compaq Presario 5430 P4 1.8 GHZ 512MB DDR RAM Maxtor 80 gig 5400 rpm
    HDWinXP Home. The only program running is WinDVD, playing Star Wars
    Episode2 (the scene where they are chasing the bounty hunter) Task
    Manager shows CPU useage at 19% This is a tweaked version of XP with
    almost all services shut down.

    Exact same machine, Maxtor 40 gig 5400RPM HD Win2kSP3. Same DVD, same
    scene 14% processor useage.

    Copying the DVD to the hard Drive using Smart Ripper to extract the
    VOB's
    XP Home 14 Minutes
    2k 09 minutes

    I didn't do an encoding test, because there was no reason to encode
    the movie twice. It took just under 2 hours to encode the film to
    DIVX in 2k.

    As for the spyware, start, run, services.msc and make sure you turn
    off Windows Time.

    the yeti, Sep 26, 2003