Required depts and modes for LCD monitors

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Haines Brown, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. Haines Brown

    Haines Brown Guest

    I'm currently switching from CRT to LCD, and am about to reconfigure
    my Linux system"s X server. With CRT, I had defined a range of
    resolutions for each of a series of color depths.

    But for LCD, there's clearly just one optimal resolution, which in my
    case happens to be 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz.

    That means I could have nothing more than this as a "Screen Section":

    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600]"
    Monitor "Samsung 920BM"
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection

    My question is, what reason would I have to specify resolutions at
    lesser color depths, and why specify lesser resolutions?

    Haines Brown, Dec 12, 2007

  2. Haines Brown

    Arno Wagner Guest

    I see only one reason fro lower color depths, namely applications
    that need it. Or better applications linked against very old
    X11 libraries that do not support 24 bit color. The only one
    I ever found was an older version of the oonsoo card game, and
    even that has been upgraded. So, very likely, there is no real reason
    for lower color depths.

    Lesser resolutios can be beneficial when you need to scale something.
    An example would be a video-player that displays smoothly in 800x600,
    but not 1280x1024. If you want to run that full-screen, selecting
    a lower resolution would be the the way to go. However, if
    you run into that issue, you can still add the lower resolution.
    Besides that, I see no reason.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Dec 13, 2007

  3. Haines Brown

    Haines Brown Guest

    Arno, thanks for the reply. I decided to go simply with the 24 bit
    color depth and native resolution and it's working fine. Going from
    CRT to LCD proved to be painless.

    In fact, I find the LCD monitor is brighter, more colorful and sharper
    than my old Sony Triniton monitor of the same size. No idea why, for I
    expected the opposite. Only problem is that the sharpness makes the
    font look grainy, but perhaps I can introduce a bit of anti-aliasing
    to smooth the characters out.

    Haines Brown, Dec 13, 2007